March 27, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Proposed elimination of critical program would hurt region’s poor

POVERTY | The administration’s budget proposal calls for the elimination of the Community Development Block Grant program, which provides communities with resources to address a wide range of unique community development needs. The loss of this program would hurt many low-income communities in our region. (WAMU, 3/24)

…Arlington uses part of its $1.1 million in CDBG funds for grants to 35 non-profits that offer everything from job training to energy efficiency education and upgrades. A large chunk of the money is used to help finance affordable housing projects.

In other parts of the region, the money is used to help people buy their first home. In D.C., part of the city’s $13.7 million CDBG allotment helps fund the Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP), which offers up to $80,000 in no-interest loans to low- and moderate-income first-time home-buyers. The City of Gaithersburg, which has been taking in CDBG funds directly from HUD since 2003, uses a large part of its $353,000 allotment for much the same purpose.

HEALTH
– Howard University Hospital opened in 1862, in part, to treat the District’s freed slaves. Recently, the hospital has been experiencing a severe crisis due to fiscal woes, mismanagement, lawsuits and the loss of many long time doctors. (WaPo, 3/25)

– A program that connects Prince George’s County residents to nurses at a local hospital has drastically reduced calls to 911. (NBC4, 3/24)

How Fear of Deportation Puts Stress on Families (Atlantic, 3/22)

EDUCATION | Howard University students will study computer science at Google’s headquarters in California this summer. (WAMU, 3/25)

HOUSING | Why Montgomery County will continue to turn its aging office buildings into residences. (The Third Place, 3/21)

PHILANTHROPY | 5 Ways Foundations Can Get Results in a Time of Upheaval (Chronicle, 3/7 – Subscription needed)

FOOD | These DC students created a global cook book of recipes. (NPR, 3/25)

Who knew you could create art using a chainsaw?