HEALTH | The 2017 County Health Rankings, a collaboration between Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute, has been released. According to the data, Virginia’s healthiest county is Loudoun County and Montgomery County is the healthiest in Maryland. Read more about our region’s rankings here.
Now in its eighth year, the County Health Rankings continue to bring revealing data to communities across the nation.
- More Americans are dying prematurely, notably among our younger generations (page 4)
- Premature death rates rose across urban and rural community types and racial/ethnic groups in 2015. Premature death has consistently been highest in rural counties and among American Indian/Alaskan Native and black populations.
- In recent years, premature death increased most among those ages 15–44.
– Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe will continue his push to expand Medicaid in Virginia. (WaPo, 3/27)
ADVOCACY | Gretchen Greiner-Lott, vice president of WRAG, discusses her experience at Foundations on the Hill, where the possible repeal of the Johnson Amendment was a key issue. She also shares how WRAG has used its voice to support the amendment. (Daily, 3/29)
IMMIGRATION | Deportation Fears Prompt Immigrants To Cancel Food Stamps (NPR, 3/28)
CHILDREN/YOUTH | Advocates say that child trafficking is a real problem in the District. (WAMU, 3/29)
– The District’s technology sector has one of the smallest gender gaps in the country. (WBJ, 3/28)
– Overcoming Trust Gap Is Key to Supporting Black-Owned Businesses (NEXTCITY, 3/28)
These great photos are winners of the 2017 Sony World Photography Awards.