March 31, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

DC mayor renews affordable housing fight

HOUSING | Mayor Muriel Bowser gave her annual State of the District Address yesterday evening. She touched on various issues including the number of missing Black and Latinx teens, the unemployment rate East of the River and the city’s affordable housing crisis. For affordable housing, the mayor listed new methods of increasing and protecting it in the city. (WaPo, 3/30)

Bowser said she will ask the council to create a $10 million account to preserve low-income housing, bringing the total funding allocation for the trust fund to $110 million.

The mayor said she would also implement a dormant law that gives the city the right to purchase units to keep them affordable when an owner is seeking to redevelop a property into ­market-rate units.

Bowser noted that the city is cracking down on Sanford Capital, a private landlord of low-income housing with a history of housing code violations documented by both The Washington Post and Washington City Paper earlier this year.

CIVIL LEGAL | Mary E. Clymont, president and CEO of the Public Welfare Foundation, discusses the barriers many Americans face in civil courts when they cannot afford legal assistance and how the Justice for All Project can help. (Governing, 3/30)

– A District school teacher wonders if she’s had any impact on her students as she prepares to leave the school system this year. (GGW, 3/30)

Pepco sponsored a DC elementary school robotics team’s trip to compete in a national robotics competition. (NBC4, 3/29)

ECONOMY | The Montgomery County Economic Development Corp. describes how it will change the County for the better. (WBJ, 3/31 – Subscription needed)

TRANSIT | Some adult learners in the District have trouble getting to classes due to the cost of public transportation. The DC Fiscal Policy Institute lays out how the city can address this issue. (DCFPI, 3/30)

EVENT FOR FUNDERS | The DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities is hosting a roundtable conversation on DC’s Cultural Plan with grantmakers on April 7 from 1:00 – 3:00 at 200 I (Eye) Street SE. The Plan is intended to strengthen arts, humanities, culture and heritage in the city by increasing cultural participation, supporting artists and talent development, stimulating cultural production, and informing decision-making. RSVP to Michael Bigley here.

NONPROFIT/RFP  
– Hill-Snowdon Foundation, in partnership with the General Service Foundation, has launched the Defending the Dream Fund, which will support community organizing & power building and other work. More information here

CareFirst is now accepting online applications in support of health related programs in the region. For consideration, applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on June 30, 2017. Learn more

Social Sector Job Openings 

Director of Data Services | GuideStar USA, Inc.
Community Affairs Contractor – Engagement, Capital One Cafés | Capital One
Executive Director | International Association for Volunteer Effort
Executive Director | Catalogue for Philanthropy
Donor Services Associate, District of Columbia | The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region
Associate Director, Policy & Communications | Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers 
Administrative Associate
| Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers 
Manager, Operations & Programming
| Walker’s Legacy Foundation
Senior Associate, Engagement – Mid-Atlantic and Retail and Direct Bank markets
| Capital One

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar
To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. Click here to view the community calendar.

A handy map for when you have to “go” while riding Metro.