April 5, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Northern Virginian homeowners are fighting eviction and sale

HOUSING | Affordable housing is an issue across our region, but for this community of homeowners the issue is a little more complex. Residents of a mobile park community in Manassas are fighting to stay on the land they’ve lived on and repaired after the owner entered into a deal to sell it to the city. (WaPo, 4/4)

Many East End families saved up money to buy their trailers while sharing cramped space in overcrowded houses and apartments. Selfo Sosa, a leader in the fight to stop the sale of the park, purchased his four-bedroom trailer for $17,000 five years ago, after crowding his family of six into a two-bedroom unit in a nearby trailer park.

“None of us can afford a house anywhere else in this area,” said Sosa, a construction worker originally from Mexico who has organized community cleanups in an effort to win the favor of local officials. “We are all poor. . . . The cost of living is too high.”

– The District has received eight proposals for the New Communities Initiatives redevelopment of the Temple Courts property. (UrbanTurf, 4/3)

PHILANTHROPY  | WRAG’s Philanthropy Fellows program, our partnership with the Do Good Institute at the University of Maryland, has had a real impact on the students and the organizations that host them. We followed up with some former fellows to find out how their experience working in philanthropy as students has influenced their careers since graduation. (Daily, 4/5)

Related for WRAG Members: Click here to learn more about the Philanthropy Fellows program and to apply to host a fellow for Fall 2017 or Academic Year 2017-2018. Applications are due by Friday, May 12.

LGBTQ | A federal appeals court has ruled that the 1964 Civil Rights Act protects gay workers from job discrimination. However, this matter will eventually have to be decided by the Supreme Court. (NYT, 4/4)

RACIAL EQUITY | Yesterday, in my Consumer Health Foundation position, I reflected on the death of Martin Luther King, Jr and the state of racial equity today. (CHF Blog, 4/4)

BUDGET | Mayor Bowser has released her 2018 budget proposal for the District. (WAMU, 4/4)

TRANSIT | Due to a lack of short-term bicycle parking in Montgomery County, city planners recommend that the county launch a bicycle parking program. (Bethesda Beat, 4/4)

EDUCATION | CityBridge Education wants to revamp the District’s city and charter schools within the next five years. (WaPo, 4/3)

Frederick Douglass is actually being recognized more everyday. He and his home are now engraved on a quarter.