April 12, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Students from two DC schools are having a conversation about race

EDUCATION | A recent study found that 71 percent of the District’s Black students did not attend school with White students. Now an exchange program with Maret School (a private school) and Cesar Chavez Public Charter School is encouraging students to get to know each other and discuss their differences. (WAMU, 4/12)

The day was the brainchild of [history teacher] Ayo Magwood, who taught at Cesar Chavez before coming to Maret. It is the culminating event in a yearlong program she thought up during the contentious presidential campaign. “I was very concerned whether young people would be able to grow up and talk across difference and understand each other,” Magwood said. “I was really just struck by the fact that many of these young people have zero contact with each other.”

D.C.’s schools show evidence of the city’s racial and economic disparities. A study from the University of California in Los Angeles this year found that 71 percent of black students in D.C. public and charter schools have virtually zero white classmates. Cesar Chavez has no white students.

Report breaks down hate crimes in Montgomery County schools (WTOP, 4/12)

GENDER EQUITY | The District, in partnership with the American Association of University Women, is training women on salary negotiation as one strategy in closing the wage gap. (WaPo, 4/10)

FOOD | Prince George’s County will be opening its first Whole Foods today and county officials are hopeful for the new developments it will bring. (WaPo, 4/11)

ENVIRONMENT
– These are the programs at stake in the administration’s proposed Environmental Protection Agency cuts. (NYT, 4/10)

– A Virginia river is now fifth on a list of most endangered rivers in the nation. (WTOP, 4/11)

POVERTYCan a Difficult Childhood Enhance Cognition? (Atlantic, 4/11)

Find your local farmers markets here.