April 17, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Creating a thriving District through investment in low-income families

FAMILIES & CHILDREN | The Washington Area Women’s Foundation has released a new report, Towards A Thriving City: A Review of the Impact of the Proposed 2018 D.C. Budget on Girls, Women and Families. This report provides a detailed account of funding directed toward low-income families in the proposed budget and includes recommendations on how the city can better help them. (WAWF, 4/12)

Low-income girls, women and families in the District are struggling to stay afloat even as many parts of the nation’s capital are thriving and prosperous. Since the most recent recession, economic growth and development has not crossed over to east of the Anacostia River. In fact the poverty rate for Wards 7 and 8 has increased from 27 percent prerecession to 33 percent in 2015. In other parts of the city, poverty rates fell by one percent.

The City’s budget is a macrocosm of its priorities and will. As such, it must include supports and investments for low-income women and families to ensure that they not only do not fall further behind but are set on a path towards full-economic security. Specifically, there should be increased resources for programs that aggressively work to alleviate poverty and these programs should take into consideration the unique needs of low-income girls, children, women, and families.

PricewaterhouseCoopers has launched “Access Your Potential” – a five-year, $320 million commitment focused on closing the education, opportunity, and skills gaps through investments in financial literacy and technology skills. (PWC, 4/14)

– Older students in this Northern Virginia Community College class are learning how to navigate their smartphones and their teachers, millennials, are learning about the past. (PotomacLocal, 4/16)

RACIAL EQUITY | The District is celebrating the anniversary of our Emancipation Day today. In a Consumer Health Foundation blog, I reflect on this day as a DC native and encourage others to learn about the District. (CHF Blog, 4/17)

– The repeal of the Johnson Amendment could be part of the tax reform bill. (WaPo, 4/14)

Related: Earlier this month, Gretchen Greiner-Lott, WRAG’s vice president, provided an update on the social sector’s action (which is mentioned in the Post article above) to support the Johnson Amendment. (Daily, 4/6)

–  Community Foundation for Northern Virginia‘s Latino Engagement and Achievement Fund, to support and promote the success of and civic engagement by the Latino community in our region, has received an anonymous donor challenge. (CFNV, 4/13)

HOMELESSNESSA homeless family needed shelter. D.C. gave them bus tickets to North Carolina. (WaPo, 4/15)

HOUSING 
– Civil rights groups in the District have filed a lawsuit against a local housing developer alleging housing discrimination based on race and source of income. (WBJ, 4/13)

First time buyers in Northern Virginia don’t have many housing options. (InsideNova, 4/14)

TRANSIT/EQUITYWhen commuting in the D.C. region, distance doesn’t tell the whole story (WaPo, 4/15)

In other news, the Easter Bunny attacked President Teddy Roosevelt at Nationals Park yesterday.