April 18, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Child poverty in the District down overall but up in some wards

CHILDREN & FAMILIES| DC Action for Children has released its annual “Ward Snapshots” report that documents child poverty rates and family incomes in the District. The report found that wards 5, 7 and 8, which have the highest share of young children, also share the lowest median family incomes. In addition, child poverty has increased in wards 3, 4 and 8. (WaPo, 4/18)

While the overall child poverty rate has declined to 26.7 percent — a drop of three percentage points since 2010 — there has been a slight uptick in Wards 3, 4 and 8. Ward 3 had a child poverty rate of 2.9 percent in 2015, compared with Ward 8’s 49 percent. Some of the increases could be attributed to rising housing costs. Ward 3’s rate was previously 2.4 percent; Ward 8’s was 48.3 percent.

The report found that more than 40 percent of D.C. residents spend more than a third of their monthly income on rent and related costs. The number of children enrolled in Medicaid increased by 21 percent, with the largest jumps in Wards 3, 4 and 8.

HEALTH | Ed Hunter, president and CEO of de Beaumont Foundation, discusses the foundation’s new CityHealth initiative and the use of policy to improve the lives of community members and vitality of cities. (Public Health Newswire, 4/12)

TRANSIT
– Returning citizens may not be getting a fair chance to apply to be Uber drivers in Maryland. (WAMU, 4/17)

– The District offers free public transportation to its public school students. Now advocates want to provide the same to adult learners. (WTOP, 4/15)

DEVELOPMENT | Baileys Crossroads in Fairfax County, VA, has an unfortunate history of failed revitalization projects. (WaPo, 4/16)

INCOME | D.C. Pays Way More Than Any State Per Capita In Federal Taxes (DCist, 4/17)

ENVIRONMENT | Northern Virginia environmental activists gear up to confront a new reality. (InsideNova, 4/18)

Look! Love songs re-imagined as Stephen King book covers.