April 25, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Inclusive, affordable housing coming for Maryland residents

HOUSING
– There’s a lot of discussion about the affordable housing crisis in our region and beyond, but we often don’t include a conversation about adults with developmental disabilities. A Rockville, MD couple has noticed the shortage of housing for these adults in their community and now they plan to create an affordable housing development with this population in mind. (Bethesda Beat, 4/25)

The vision shared by Jillian and Scott Copeland is to build a 70-apartment community called Main Street where residents can live independently, learn and build friendships. The plan is to devote a quarter of the units to adults with developmental disabilities.

“It’s a new model … where everyone is welcome and everyone is included,” Jillian Copeland of Rockville said.

Copeland and her husband embarked on the development project after identifying a community need. Their 17-year-old son, Nicol, is developmentally disabled, and Copeland said there’s a shortage of housing options for him. This isn’t the first time Copeland has taken initiative; she founded The Diener School in Potomac about 10 years ago to fill an educational gap for students with disabilities and create a place that would meet her son’s needs.

– A new analysis found that the District has the largest increase in Black homeownership rates in the country and Latinx homeownership is not far behind. (DCist, 4/25)

ARTS & HUMANITIES | The National Assessment of Educational Progress, which reports on U.S. student achievement, released its latest report card and found that students’ visual arts and music grades did not see a significant increase from 2008. (WAMU, 4/25)

PHILANTHROPY | According to an Exponent Philanthropy study and a Center for Effective Philanthropy study, many foundations are considering grant-making changes due to the new administration’s policies. (Chronicle, 4/25 – Subscription needed)

HEALTH | Many primary care doctors still struggle with a lack of medical knowledge of how to treat transgender patients. (Atlantic, 4/21)

HUMAN RIGHTS | The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum has officially opened a newly dedicated conservation and research center in Bowie, MD where Holocaust evidence is being preserved. (WTOP, 4/24)

The Kennedy Center has announced its new season.