May 9, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Syrian refugees are rebuilding their lives in Maryland

REFUGEE | There are about 185 Syrian refugees trying to rebuild their lives in Maryland and Virginia. Few nonprofits that specifically serve this community reside in our region, but many are providing them with supports, including English classes, work skills and more. Working with these resources and their own learned skills, the family profiled in this article were able to start a tailoring and a catering business. (WTOP, 5/9)

Nader Briman, 42, used to own a lingerie factory in his hometown of Homs, Syria, until it was destroyed by a rocket during the war. As violence ensued in 2012, Nader and his wife Rasha, 36, decided it was best to flee the country with their three children.

The Brimans moved to Egypt, where Nader found work making wedding dresses at a bridal shop until he and his family received approval from the UN to come to the U.S. as refugees. They arrived the night before President Donald Trump’s inauguration at Reagan National Airport and were taken to their new home in Landover, Maryland.

RACIAL EQUITY |Listen to Tamara Lucas Copeland, WRAG’s president, in a new Leadership Insights podcast as she discusses her commitment to racial equity and the social profit sector’s role in it. (InciteInternational, 5/8)

HOUSING
– Joe and Lynne Horning, founders of the Horning Family Fund, reflect on their legacy in the District and discuss their latest development project in Anacostia. (WBJ, 5/8 – Subscription needed)

– DC Fiscal Policy Institute hosted a meeting, Big Solutions to DC’s Big Affordable Housing Challenge, last week with private and public sector stakeholders to discuss the District’s housing crisis. (DCFPI Blog, 5/8)

EDUCATION | Minority achievement lauded, more efforts sought to close achievement gaps (InsideNova, 5/7)

PUBLIC SAFETY | Virginia’s governor signed a law yesterday to make it mandatory for driver’s education classes to teach students how to behave when a police officer pulls them over. (WaPo, 5/8)

ARTS & HUMANITIES | This 17-year-old escaped violence in El Salvador and found art here in Maryland. (WaPo, 5/7)

DEVELOPMENT | Apple reveals more details about its plan to turn Carnegie Library into an Apple store. (WBJ, 5/8)

A view of DC’s Funk Parade