May 11, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

New report shows rate of homelessness down in the region

HOMELESSNESS | According to a recent point-in-time report, compiled by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, the number of homeless individuals has mostly dropped in our region. The report is based on homeless shelters’ reports and a one-time count done by volunteers who walked the streets on January 25th. (WaPo, 5/10)

Most jurisdictions saw declines in homelessness from 2016, though the population was flat in Prince William County and increased by 33 percent in Arlington County.

Kathleen Sibert, the president and chief executive of the Arlington Street People’s Assistance Network, noted that because Arlington has a relatively small homeless population, modest fluctuations can create dramatic-looking percentage increases or decreases.

Fifty-eight more people were counted in 2017 than in 2016, bringing the total homeless population in Arlington County to 232, nearly the same number of people as were counted in 2015.

FOOD/POVERTY | The Anti-Lunch Shaming Act, which prohibits practices known to be stigmatizing to students who receive free or reduced meals, was introduced in Congress this week. (Civil Eats, 5/10)

WORKFORCE | Small businesses are struggling to survive in DC as online shopping becomes the norm. (WCP, 5/11)

RACE | How Montgomery County’s architecture is helping to tell the story of its past of racial intolerance. (WAMU, 5/11)

PUBLIC SAFETYNewsham: New drug strategy targeting dealers, illegal guns leads to drop in crime (WTOP, 5/10)

YOUTH | This boxing exchange program helps young boxers from two completely different countries experiencing similar circumstances see that there is more to the world than their neighborhood. (WaPo, 5/11)

Here are a few facts about Anacostia you might not know.