May 23, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The administration’s proposed budget will cut safety net programs

BUDGET | The new administration will release its first budget proposal today. It includes cuts to many programs that benefit low-income and moderate-income families, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (known as food stamps), the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, and Medicaid. (NYT, 5/22)

Mr. Trump also wants to make large cuts to educational programs aimed at helping often low-income students secure federal loans or grants, and he would cut access to disability payments through Social Security.

Taken together, the cuts represent a significant reordering of the social safety net, away from poor families and toward older Americans, regardless of income. Medicare would be untouched, and the main function of Social Security — retirement income — would flow unimpeded.

HEALTHCARE | The Virginia Health Care Foundation has announced a new initiative, Beyond Blue, that is intended to increase access to mental health care for uninsured Virginians and those with little to no access to medical care. (Richmond Times, 5/22)

FOOD | A USDA pilot program to allow SNAP participants to order groceries online will begin in Maryland sometime next year. (NBC4, 5/22)

NORTHERN VIRGINIA | Connect Northern Virginia, a website that connects people to community resources, has revealed its redesigned website with the help of partners: Claude Moore Charitable Trust, United Way of the National Capital Area, Community Foundation for Northern Virginia and Community Foundation for Loudoun & Northern Fauquier Counties.

– Public middle schools in the District fail to win over parents as the city plans to revamp them. (WaPo, 5/20)

– Bowie State Remembers Student Killed In Possible Hate Crime (WAMU, 5/23)

TRANSIT
– A federal judge has ordered further study on the impact of the Purple Line in Maryland, further delaying construction of the project. (Baltimore Sun, 5/23)

– D.C. taxicabs on route to digital meters by the end of the summer (WaPo, 5/20)

There is beauty in the world