May 25, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Affordable housing must be a priority in Loudoun County

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | Loudoun County’s Board of Supervisors Chair Phyllis Randall gave her second state of the county address yesterday. She discussed many improvements for the county and addressed future issues including housing and transportation. Loudoun County has a housing affordability problem right now and a recent report found that it could be facing a crisis in the future. (Loudoun Tribune, 5/24)

Her first priority was affordable housing, an ongoing problem that has taken greater urgency among the board as the county faces rising house prices and the prospect of an insufficient supply in the future. These same projections say a dearth of affordable housing could curtail future economic growth, and Randall said government and business leaders need to address the issue before it became a crisis.

“Housing affordability is an absolute necessity if we hope to attract businesses and companies to locate to this region,” Randall said.

In the past few weeks, the county Chamber held a discussion, the Board has held a summit and future meetings and actions steps are planned. Randall reminded the hundreds in the government center crowded into the Board room or watching in overflow that many of Loudoun’s public servants, dozens of whom were on hand to listen to her address, couldn’t afford to live in the communities they aid.

WORKFORCE
JPMorgan Chase is investing in Ascend 2020, a project that helps minority-owned businesses that are often unable to find financing in the District. The project will be supported by Project 500, an effort for which WRAG serves as a fiscal agent. (WBJ, 5/24)

– Maryland Governor Larry Hogan will sign over 200 bills today but paid sick leave may not be one of them. (WaPo, 5/24)

– Susan Taylor Batten, CEO of ABFE, discusses why it’s important to fund Black-led nonprofits, especially now. (Chronicle, 5/2 – Subscription needed)

– Funders Concerned About AIDS is hosting its annual AIDS Philanthropy Summit on September 18 and 19.

IMMIGRATION | Montgomery County has joined a national effort to encourage long-term immigrant residents to become US citizens. (Bethesda Beat, 5/24)

DEVELOPMENT | In a community meeting, Congress Heights residents voiced concerns about the District’s plans to build a sports arena on the St. Elizabeths campus. (DCist, 5/24)

BUDGETRegional memo: Trump budget proposal spells more pain for D.C. region (WaPo, 5/25)

HEALTH | How to design a neighborhood that keeps its residents healthy. (Politico, 5/10)

Need a little 90s nostalgia on another rainy day? Look no further!