June 5, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Ending segregation in the District’s schools could begin with pre-K

– The District of Columbia’s school system has remained stubbornly segregated for decades, with Blacks, Latinx and Whites largely attending schools with peers of their own race. With the city’s recent boom of children, administrators wonder if pre-K students can help turn the tide. (WaPo, 6/2)

Washington has one of the nation’s highest-quality preschool programs, experts say. It’s also one of the most segregated. In the 2013-14 school year, 86 percent of the city’s black pre-K students attended what experts call “racially isolated” schools where fewer than 10 percent of students are white.

Already, gentrification is bringing signs of change: White 3- and 4-year-olds represent 15 percent of pre-K students in D.C. in the current school year, up from 11 percent in 2013-14. The black and Hispanic shares dropped slightly over the same period.

– Washington area school systems are increasingly embracing multilingual learning. (WaPo, 6/5)

SOCIAL PROFITS | Tamara Copeland, WRAG’s president, ponders the lack of sabbaticals in the social profit sector and discusses the benefits of taking an extended break. Tamara will take her own sabbatical this summer. (Daily, 6/5)

ENVIRONMENTFoundations and Donors Vow to Step Up on Climate Change as U.S. Steps Back (Chronicle, 6/2 – Subscription needed)

HEALTH CARE
– Maryland citizens advocate for Medicaid as Congress decides how to rework the program. (Baltimore Sun, 6/3)

– La Clínica del Pueblo Opens First LGBTQ Health Center Focused on Latinx In Maryland (WCP, 6/2)

CHILDREN/YOUTH | Teen sex trafficking is a major issue in Northern Virginia. These individuals are trying to help victims. (WTOP, 6/4)

DC’s Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton has a park dedicated to her.