June 8, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

A local foundation is bringing fresh food to low-income neighborhoods in DC

FOOD INSECURITY | Bainum Family Foundation’s farm program is bringing fresh produce to low-income children living in food deserts in the District. The foundation has partnered with skilled farmers and two nonprofits to deliver food to early childcare centers and distribute food through community markets in the city. (Loudoun Now, 6/1)

Stewart Bainum Sr., founder of the Maryland-based Choice Hotels Chain and owner of the Dinwiddie Farm estate in Loudoun, launched the Bainum Family Foundation in 1968, and in recent years, the nonprofit has narrowed its focus to serving low-income children in Washington, DC.

When Bainum died in 2014, he left a 260-acre tract on the 640-acre estate to the foundation, with a goal of boosting access to high-quality foods in underserved neighborhoods. Foundation staff decided that launching a working farm would be the best way to meet that goal and started their search for a farmer to run it. They wound up getting two in the bargain.

DO MORE 24 | Today is the United Way of the National Capital Area‘s annual Do More 24 event, a 24-hour online giving campaign to raise funds for local organizations. Donors can click here to contribute.

HEALTH CARE | According to a new Health Affairs report, the United States has one of the largest income-based health disparities in the world. (Atlantic, 6/5)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | Residents, DC policymakers and housing developers are all invested in the fate of four vacant Anacostia homes. (GGWash, 6/6)

HOMELESSNESSD.C. Gets Kudos For Efforts To Keep Homeless Out Of Jail (WAMU, 6/7)

IMMIGRATION | The plight of a Latin American immigrant in the DC area and the myth of ‘stolen’ jobs. (Street Sense, 6/1)

EDUCATION | Arlington Public School teachers and parents raise safety concerns about a recent technology initiative that provides iPads for elementary and middle school students and laptops for high school students. (ARLnow, 6/7)

INCOME | How the US government’s public service loan forgiveness program has changed or helped the career paths of these college graduates. (NYT, 6/7)

TRANSIT | Here are a few ideas for reusing Metro’s old rail cars. (WAMU, 6/7)

The March on Washington Film Festival is next month!