June 22, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Prince William county school board votes to protect LGBTQ staff and students

DISCRIMINATION | The Prince William county school board has voted to ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. Opponents cited concerns about restroom usage and the fact that courts haven’t issued concrete opinions about similar policies. At-Large Chairman Ryan Sawyers, the lead backer of the policy change, cited the mass shooting at an Orlando nightclub last year where LGBTQ individuals, mostly Latinx, were killed, as motivation for the change. (InsideNOVA, 6/21)

More than 500 people attended the board’s meeting in Bristow, though purple-clad supporters of the nondiscrimination measures dominated the board chambers — one joyous, drawn-out cry of “Equality!” rose above the raucous applause once the vote was tallied. When lawmakers considered the same change last fall, it was hundreds of opponents donned in red who packed the room.

“I wish I had this in my school 25 years ago,” said Danica Roem, the Democratic nominee in the 13th District of the House of Delegates and the first transgender woman to qualify for a Virginia ballot. “I don’t know how different my life would’ve been…I just hope these other kids are free to live as their true selves now.”

– This map shows every hate crime reported in the District in 2016, excluding crimes that occurred on federal land or college campuses. (NBC4, 6/20)

HEALTHCigna exits Maryland’s individual health insurance marketplace (WBJ, 6/21)

TRANSIT | Metro’s SafeTrack is ending, but newly shortened operating hours will still burden riders, especially those that work late-night shifts. (WAMU, 6/22)

PHILANTHROPYHow to Make Socioeconomic Diversity a Priority in Your Board Search (Chronicle, 6/21 – Subscription needed)

IMMIGRATION | Areas with sanctuary policies could be making the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s job more difficult. (Slate, 6/20)

EQUITY/WORKFORCE | An ACLU report explores the benefits of hiring returning citizens and offers recommendations to businesses that want to implement fair hiring practices. (ACLU, 6/21)

ELECTIONSSupreme Court picks up gerrymander case with potential implications for Maryland (Baltimore Sun, 6/19)

A look at the new Ben’s Chili Bowl mural (without Marvin Gaye)…