June 26, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

DC to offer special education services to young children

– On Friday, a federal court ruled that the District is not doing enough to help children with special needs that aren’t school age yet. The court ordered DC to ensure that at least 8.5% of the city’s children (between the age of 3 and 5) receive special education services. (WaPo, 6/23)

…Earlier court findings had shown the city was regularly failing to identify between 98 and 515 children a month with disabilities and had the lowest percentage of special education enrollment in the United States.

The ruling is a victory for children with disabilities, said Judith Sandalow, executive director of the Childrens Law Center. “Fundamentally it clears away a hurdle in the legal battle to get this city to properly identify and provide services to toddlers,” she said. “The earlier we identify the more we can do to make sure that they are still able to learn along with their typically developing peers. The longer we wait, the harder it is to do.”

– These researchers want to know if  low-income, public school students perform better when they’re given a voucher to attend private school. (NPR, 6/26)

POVERTYIs Amazon’s Discounted Prime Membership Really a Good Deal for Poor People? (Slate, 6/9)

ENVIRONMENT | How Northern Virginia is expanding its composting programs and trying to fight food waste. (NoVa Mag, 6/26)

IMMIGRATIONSupreme Court allows limited version of Trump’s travel ban to take effect, will consider case in fall (WaPo, 6/26)

ARTS & HUMANITIES | The popularity of podcasts have inspired media tech businesses to invest in playwrights. (Partnership Movement, 6/15)

PUBLIC SAFETY 
– The District has dramatically improved its ability to solve murder cases. (DC Policy Center, 6/25)

– Crime increased in Prince William County, VA last year. (Potomac Local, 6/23)

Now you can fly like an eagle…