July 10, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The demolition of the District’s Barry Farm housing project is near

HOUSING | The DC Council approved the redevelopment of the Barry Farm housing project in 2006 under the New Communities Initiative, a program designed to revitalize “severely distressed” subsidized housing and redevelop communities plagued with concentrated poverty. Although residents have organized to stop their displacement during and after construction, the demolition is near and residents are frustrated with the developer and the DC Housing Authority’s policies. (WaPo, 7/8)

Management of the new complex will be overseen by one or both of the developers that have partnered with the Housing Authority. To dispel concern that the new manager might impose a tighter screening process for returning residents, in terms of their credit and rent-paying histories and any past legal problems, the authority has enacted a rule that the process cannot be any stricter than the current one for public housing.

King, the authority’s development officer, said the rebuilt complex will have 1,400 units, including 344 for public housing tenants. An additional 100 public housing apartments already have opened, and are occupied, at two new complexes nearby. The rest of the redevelopment, more than 1,000 residences, will be a mix of nonpublic apartments for low-income tenants and market-rate rental and ownership units.

RACISM | Tamara Copeland, WRAG’s president, has taken some time from her sabbatical to thank a longtime actress for calling out a racist incident she witnessed in Lucca, Italy, where Tamara is also visiting. (Daily, 7/10)

PHILANTHROPY | Yanique Redwood, vice chair of WRAG’s board and president and CEO of Consumer Health Foundation, discusses why her foundation has decided to require prospective grantees to complete a racial equity impact assessment tool with their grant application. (CHF Blog, 7/6)

RFP | The Loudoun Impact Fund, a Community Foundation for Northern Virginia and the Community Foundation for Loudoun and Northern Fauquier Counties initiative, is accepting applications for its 2017 grants cycle. Organizations supporting youth and elderly welfare in Loudoun County are invited to apply by September 13, 2017. More information here

– Instead of worrying about financing scholarships every year, what if foundations found a new way to help low-income and middle class students? (Chronicle, 7/7 – Subscription needed)

– DC, Maryland and Virginia have joined sixteen other states in filing a lawsuit against the secretary of education for delaying a rule that helps former students of predatory colleges seek debt forgiveness. (DCist, 7/7)

BUSINESS
– A DC council member has proposed a bill that would create a grant program to provide rental assistance to longtime small businesses within the District’s Department of Small and Local Business Development. (AFRO, 7/6)

Amazon Was Supposed To Have Crushed Bookstores. So Why Are Indie Bookshops Booming In D.C.? (WAMU, 7/6)

Cricket is coming to Northern Virginia.