July 25, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The District will continue to protect low-income families receiving TANF benefits

CHILDREN & FAMILIES | Due to a time limit, families who have been receiving assistance from the TANF program for longer than 60 months were set to lose their benefits this October. The District has eliminated the time limit and introduced new legislation to help families become self-sufficient. (WaPo, 7/24)

The city’s Department of Human Services, which runs the TANF program, has contracts with private service-providers that offer job training, education and other forms of help aimed at getting clients off the welfare rolls. With “the cliff” no longer looming, and thousands of 60-monthers due to continue getting benefits, the agency said it intends to beef up those services, hoping to boost the rate of welfare “exits.”

“One of the things we looked at carefully was, ‘What is the cost of not doing this?’ ” said council member Brianne K. Nadeau (D-Ward 1), a member of the study group and a leading opponent of the TANF cutoff. “We found that if just one out of 10 of these families falls into homelessness, then the cost of getting them out would be far greater” than the cost of continuing TANF benefits. “So we’ll be saving money by helping them.”

INSTITUTE FOR CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY | Registration is now open for the 2018 Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility! Read why this program is beneficial for CSR professionals here. (CSR Wire, 7/18)

HEALTH | Maryland health officials are working to bring needle exchange programs to several of its counties. (WaPo, 7/19)

POVERTY | Once again, Loudoun is the nation’s most affluent county. So why isn’t everyone celebrating? (Loudoun Times, 7/20)

HOUSING | Developers and displaced community residents are often the topic of discussion when District residents talk about gentrification, but what about the powerful people who use their privilege to prevent their neighborhoods from changing?  (GGWash, 7/21)

TRANSIT | Maryland now has approval from a federal appeals court to build its light-rail project, the Purple Line. (WaPo, 7/19)

PHILANTHROPY | The Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers is now the United Philanthropy Forum. More information about the change here.

EDUCATION | Civil rights advocates and education groups in the District are calling for DC public schools to audit its suspension rates after a recent investigation found that some schools were not classifying suspended students correctly. (WAMU, 7/19)

IMMIGRATION20 Democratic attorneys general urge Trump to keep DACA, say it has boosted economy (WaPo, 7/21)

Remembering Jim Vance