July 28, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The Affordable Care Act is still intact

HEALTH
– The most recent debate to restructure the American health care system, by repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act, ended earlier this morning. Members of the Senate voted against every proposed repeal of the health care bill, and the last one, the skinny repeal, was voted down 49-51. (NBC News, 7/28)

It isn’t clear what comes next, but the collapse of some insurance markets around the country serve as an incentive for Republicans and Democrats to hold hearings and fix the problems with health care.

Most Republicans never embraced the different iterations of legislation they crafted, nor the process by which it was constructed. Even on the last-ditch effort at a bare-bones bill, Republicans couldn’t reach agreement. Over the past two days, many rejected a plan that would have partially repealed and replaced Obamacare and a measure that would have just repealed it. The repeal vote was the same bill that passed the Senate and the House in 2015 when former President Barack Obama vetoed it.

– DC has hired its first chief resilience officer to find solutions for economically disadvantaged residents when “shocks” such as earthquakes, floods, and disease outbreaks happen. (DCist, 7/27)

HUMAN RIGHTSDiscrimination against Muslims is increasing in U.S., Pew study finds (WaPo, 7/26)

EDUCATION | This Virginia high school has received an innovation grant to help teachers develop a curriculum for newcomer immigrant students. (WaPo, 7/27)

HOUSING | Former President Jimmy Carter explains why housing is a basic right. (Citylab, 7/27)

ARTS & HUMANITIESWho Gets Most Arts Money? Still Large, White Organizations (American Theater, 7/21)

Social Sector Job Openings 

Program Coordinator | Exponent Philanthropy – New!
Operations Associate | ACT for Alexandria – New!
Arts Education Specialist | DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities – New!
Membership & Marketing Associate | Exponent Philanthropy – New!
Membership Manager | Exponent Philanthropy – New!
Management Associate | Public Welfare Foundation – New!
Executive Director | Agua Fund
Database Assistant | Greater Washington Community Foundation
Senior Administrative Assistant/Foundation Coordinator | The Richard E. and Nancy P. Marriott Foundation, the Nancy Peery Marriott Foundation and the Marriott Daughters Foundation
Program Officer | The Diane & Bruce Halle Foundation
Program Officer | Howard and Geraldine Polinger Family Foundation
Development Coordinator | Girls on the Run – DC
Senior Program Officer | George S. and Dolores Dore Eccles Foundation
Corporate Gifts Officer | FIRST Chesapeake
Officer, Philanthropic Networks, Philanthropic Partnerships | The Pew Charitable Trusts

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar
To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. Click here to view the community calendar.

Because we all managed to make it to the end of the week, enjoy this mashup of Sesame Street and 80’s music.