August 2, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Montgomery County employers predict a loss of 47,000 jobs if minimum wage increases to $15

WORKFORCE
– After Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett vetoed a bill to increase the minimum wage to $15 earlier this year, he commissioned a study to look at the economic impact of raising the minimum wage. The study has found that the county would lose approximately 47,000 jobs by 2022. (WaPo, 8/1)

PFM [the economic consulting group] found that increasing the minimum wage to $15 would result in an aggregate loss of $396.5 million of income in the county by 2022 as businesses laid off employees, cut remaining employee hours and benefits, and suspended plans to invest in new locations and hire additional workers.

“We can’t minimize some of the impacts outlined here,” said Leggett, who explained his decision to veto the earlier bill by saying he was worried that the wage hike would hurt the county’s economy. “Even if it’s not 47,000 jobs lost, even if it’s half that, those are some startling numbers. You can’t discount ­it all.”

– Older people are dying on job at higher rate than all workers (WTOP, 8/2)

NONPROFITS | Patty Stonesifer, CEO of Martha’s Table, discusses how using data and measurement has improved the impact of her organization. (Chronicle, 8/1 – Subscription needed)

– Public school students in the District are getting a chance to study abroad for a week in the summer for free. (WaPo, 8/2)

– The Justice Department’s civil rights division will begin investigating colleges’ affirmative action admissions policies that are considered discriminatory against white applicants. (NYT, 8/1)

HOUSINGThe Mortgage Interest Deduction Mostly Benefits DC’s Highest-Income Residents (DCFPI, 8/1)

PHILANTHROPY | Funders Concerned About AIDS is hosting its annual AIDS Philanthropy Summit on September 18 and 19 in DC. Register here

Words from James Baldwin on his birthday…

The Daily will be back on Friday!