August 4, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Bridging the District’s digital divide

TECHNOLOGY | According to a recent analysis by the University of Iowa and Arizona State University, only 28.8% of District adults live in a home with internet faster than dial-up. Connect.DC, a digital inclusion initiative, is trying to address this by bringing internet access and computer skills to low-income communities. (FiveThirtyEight, 8/2)

Archana Vemulapalli, the district’s chief technology officer who runs Connect.DC, told me that the program is an embodiment of what the city’s leaders hope will be the district’s future — a more skilled workforce and more connected residents throughout all parts of the city. “You have to define what the values of the city are,” she said as we leaned against the wall of a building in Washington trying to catch some shade on a hot early evening in mid-June. “For us, one of the core values we look for in anything we do is equity.”

PHILANTHROPY | Debbi Jarvis, vice president of corporate relations at Pepco Holdings, Inc., an Exelon Company,  discusses how her organization has deepened its community involvement through partnership programs that impact the community. (Women Leadership Magazine USA, 7/23)

RACIAL EQUITY | Rebecca Cisek, senior director for talent and organizational development at Bainum Family Foundation, and David Daniels, vice president of operations and organizational effectiveness at Bainum Family Foundation, discuss their foundation’s diversity, equity and inclusion efforts. (Council on Foundations, 8/1)

FOOD/RACISM | Michael Twitty, a culinary historian, discusses the role of white chefs in the southern food renaissance. (Washingtonian, 8/3)

Related: Michael Twitty was one of WRAG’s 2014 Brightest Minds series speakers, and he shared his idea of culinary justice with us. Check out the recap of the session here.

ARTS & HUMANITIES | This Vietnamese American poet is writing to uplift the untold stories of Asian Americans and their history in the US. (WAMU, 8/2)

EDUCATIONWe Must Listen to First-Generation College Students’ Perspectives on Education (PND Blog, 8/2)

Social Sector Job Openings 

Business Development Director | Center for Disaster Philanthropy – New!
Program Coordinator | Exponent Philanthropy
Operations Associate | ACT for Alexandria
Arts Education Specialist | DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities
Membership & Marketing Associate | Exponent Philanthropy
Membership Manager | Exponent Philanthropy
Management Associate | Public Welfare Foundation
Executive Director | Agua Fund
Database Assistant | Greater Washington Community Foundation
Senior Administrative Assistant/Foundation Coordinator | The Richard E. and Nancy P. Marriott Foundation, the Nancy Peery Marriott Foundation and the Marriott Daughters Foundation
Program Officer | The Diane & Bruce Halle Foundation
Development Coordinator | Girls on the Run – DC
Corporate Gifts Officer | FIRST Chesapeake

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar
To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. Click here to view the community calendar.

All you need is a library card to stream these classic films. (I wonder if they have Anna Lucasta…)