August 7, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

This nonprofit is bringing jobs and solar panels to the District

ENVIRONMENT
– When the District set its goal of having 50% of its energy supply come from renewable sources by 2032, officials knew that installing solar panels would be expensive for some. Through a partnership with the city, a nonprofit is installing solar panels for low-income homeowners and training DC residents for a career in the solar industry. (WaPo, 8/6)

The trainees are part of the summer cohort of the newly launched Solar Works DC, a low-income solar installation and job-training program jointly developed by the District’s Department of Energy and Environment and the Department of Employment Services. The program will train more than 200 D.C. residents over three years, and GRID Alternatives Mid-Atlantic was awarded a grant to implement the first year of the program. The organization will train about 75 program participants in skills needed for careers in solar and related fields, and install solar panels for 60 to 100 income-qualified District homeowners.

– Maryland activists are protesting a plan to create a new pipeline for natural gas under the Potomac River. (WaPo, 8/6)

HEALTH
– This Maryland summer camp is educating youth with asthma about their condition and how to manage it. (WAMU, 8/7)

– There’s a national initiative to train more doctors to do house calls to help increase primary care for those who are unable to travel to the hospital. (Baltimore Sun, 8/5)

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT | An update on the progress of the economic development planned for wards 7 and 8 in the District. (WBJ, 8/4)

IMMIGRATIONAmid immigration battles, College Park considers giving noncitizens voting rights (Baltimore Sun, 8/6)

PUBLIC SAFETY | A District gun case has been dismissed as a result of the arresting police officer’s possible connection to an investigation involving police officers wearing a shirt that many believe promotes white supremacy. (WaPo, 8/5)

EDUCATIONUniversities in Va. hit students with whopping collection fees for unpaid tuition (WaPo, 8/5)

In honor of the rainy day, watch one of the best dancing in the rain scenes from a movie. (Moose will always be a legend.)