August 30, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

New Barry Farm development won’t have enough room for longtime residents

HOUSING | The District’s Barry Farm public housing complex is close to being redeveloped into mixed income housing. According to a lawsuit filed yesterday, by Barry Farm residents, there will not be enough room for longtime residents to move back due to the size of the new units. (WaPo, 8/29)

At issue is the planned mix of apartment sizes among the replacement public housing units. In the lawsuit, tenants’ advocates contend the new project will offer fewer multi-bedroom apartments than were available at the old Barry Farm.

“With each development project” in the District, “communities are displaced and new upscale housing created for higher income residents,” the Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs said in a statement. “The redevelopment of Barry Farm will exclude more than 150 working and low-income families by decreasing the number of family-sized units,” meaning apartments with two to six bedrooms.

PHILANTHROPY |  The Clark Charitable Foundation has changed its name to A. James and Alice B. Clark Foundation and has appointed a new president and CEO. Read more about the change here.

PUBLIC SAFETY
– Marc Morjé Howard, the director of Georgetown University’s Prison and Justice Initiative, discusses parole boards’ incentive to keep violent offenders in prison and how the US can reform its prison system. (Atlantic, 8/29)

– Hogan promises ‘truth in sentencing’ measure for repeat violent offenders (WaPo, 8/29)

IMMIGRATION | The District’s ward 4 residents respond to anti-immigrant flyers in their community. (GGWash, 8/29)

EDUCATION | An evaluation of an internship program, which operates in Maryland and DC, that offers “disconnected” high school seniors training and mentoring found that participants only fared a small percentage better than students not in the program. (NextCity, 8/29)

HUMAN RIGHTS | A diverse coalition of of activists are marching from Charlottesville, VA to Washington, DC to confront white supremacy. (Richmond Times, 8/28)

Going to the National Book Festival this Saturday? Check out WAMU’s guide before you go.