August 31, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

This Georgetown University freshman is one of two slave descendants attending this fall

– Earlier this year, Georgetown University announced it would provide legacy status as a form of reparations to the descendants of the slaves the university sold to pay its debts in 1838. This week, Mélisande Short-Colomb, a 63-year-old descendant of one of those slaves, started her freshman year at the university. (WaPo, 8/30)

She had completed so much of life — she had become a mother, grandmother, professional chef — but increasingly she was feeling like a piece was missing. Did she owe something to the slaves who were sold and the children who followed, and would joining with the university that began it all bring some sense of resolution?

Hoping her experience at Georgetown would help answer this question, she walked into the Walsh Building. The elevators weren’t working, so she climbed the steps beside scores of younger students — “kids,” Short-Colomb described them — before stopping to catch her breath. “I’m not 18 anymore,” she said.

– A recent evaluation found that young men who participated in and completed Urban Alliance’s high school internship program have higher employment and college attendance rates. (EdWeek, 8/29)

TRANSPORTATION
– As part of DC’s Vision Zero plan to eliminate traffic-related fatalities and injuries, the DC Department of Transportation has announced it wants residents to help train computers to recognize where crashes are most likely to happen. (DCist, 8/30)

– Loudoun Co. Public Schools’ transportation system brings tears, fears and safety concerns (Loudoun Times, 8/30)

AGING | Older adults are less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease, mild cognitive impairment, disabilities, heart attacks or strokes if they have a sense of purpose and are physically active, studies find. (Kaiser Health News, 8/31)

CRIMINAL JUSTICEPublic Welfare Foundation is hosting “El Color de la Justicia”: Raising Latinx Voices for Criminal Justice Reform, to discuss data gaps in the criminal justice system that undermine attention to the Latinx population and the increasing intersection between immigration and the criminal justice system. The event is on September 21. Register here

WORKFORCEMinority Entrepreneurs Hope To Benefit From Budding Marijuana Industry (WAMU, 8/30)

Social Sector Job Openings 
Communications + Program Coordinator | FCCP
Program Associate, Portfolio Support, Public and Patient Engagement | Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
Program Associate, Public and Patient Engagement | Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
Engagement Officer | Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
Program Officer, Public Engagement | Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute
Business Development Director | Center for Disaster Philanthropy
Program Coordinator | Exponent Philanthropy
Operations Associate | ACT for Alexandria
Membership & Marketing Associate | Exponent Philanthropy
Membership Development Manager| Exponent Philanthropy
Management Associate | Public Welfare Foundation
Executive Director | Agua Fund
Database Assistant | Greater Washington Community Foundation
Senior Administrative Assistant/Foundation Coordinator | The Richard E. and Nancy P. Marriott Foundation, the Nancy Peery Marriott Foundation and the Marriott Daughters Foundation
Program Officer | The Diane & Bruce Halle Foundation

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar
To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. Click here to view the community calendar.

The Daily WRAG will be back on Tuesday!

Can’t say I’ve heard of any of these but check out the nine best music podcasts in the District over the weekend.