September 6, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Local university student reacts to DACA decision

– This Trinity University student has been looking forward to graduating next spring. Along with the usual senior year stress everyone experiences, she was handed another burden yesterday when the administration decided to end the DACA program, of which she is a recipient. (WaPo, 9/5)

Sadhana Singh is one of more than 100 students at Trinity Washington University with provisional legal status through DACA. They now make up about 10 percent of the private school’s enrollment — enough to have a profound impact on campus culture. The 31-year-old senior is part of the first group that will graduate in spring.

For Trinity’s president, Patricia McGuire, the decision to be one of the schools partnering with TheDream.US scholarship program was an easy one, a moral imperative. “It is so consistent with our mission,” she said. “Real Catholic social justice.” And despite the expense, it has benefited the school. “They are extraordinary, outstanding students,” she said. “Almost all are on the dean’s list, very practical and very motivated.”

– Natalie Wexler, education journalist and trustee of the Omega Foundation, responds to a recent New York Times article entitled “Why Students Can’t Write,” and explains why funders should care about the connection between teaching writing and teaching content. (Daily, 9/6)

Related Event: Funders, join us on September 28 for the third installment of WRAG’s 2017 Public Education Learning Series: “Curriculum: The Missing Ingredient in Education Reform.” Register here

PHILANTHROPY/IMMIGRATION
– Grantmakers Concerned With Immigrants and Refugees (GCIR) has released a statement in response to yesterday’s announcement of the repeal of the DACA program. (GCIR, 9/5)

– United Philanthropy Forum and GCIR are co-sponsoring a webinar, Dreams in Limbo: A Look at the Future of DACA, Young Immigrants, and How Funders Can Respond, on September 14. Register here

HEALTH
– To Insure More Poor Children, It Helps If Parents Are On Medicaid (KHN, 9/5)

– Evergreen Health, a Maryland based health co-op created under the Affordable Care Act to sell health coverage, is being liquidated. (Baltimore Sun, 9/5)

ARTS & CULTURE
– How the National Museum of African American History and Culture is including the Latinx experience in its exhibits. (Smithsonian Insider, 8/23)

– Two Arab Art Shows At American University Explore Conflict, Identity, And Community (DCist, 9/1)

TRANSIT | Metro is launching the Abilities-Ride program, which will allow MetroAccess customers to hail wheelchair accessible cabs, in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties this month. (WaPo, 9/5)

ENVIRONMENT | Last week the District was named the world’s first LEED Platinum City for its efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and other environmental metrics. (WAMU, 8/31)

This reminds me of that old game show, Child’s Play, but more difficult. Parents and Disney lovers, can you guess what characters they drew?