September 7, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Analysis of ACT scores shows a large achievement gap

EDUCATION | An analysis of ACT scores found that 9% of students in the class of 2017 who are from “disadvantaged backgrounds,” which are described as either low-income, first generation college students or students of color, are ready for college. This contrasts greatly with the readiness rate, which is 54%, for students who are not disadvantaged. (WaPo, 9/7)

Natasha Ushomirsky, a policy development director for the Education Trust, a nonprofit that advocates for disadvantaged students, said achievement gaps reflect long-standing disparities in the quality of teachers, rigor of curriculum and degree of academic support available to poor and minority children.

She called the ACT’s data understandable but “incredibly discouraging.” States and schools, she said, must redouble efforts to narrow and eliminate achievement gaps. “There’s a lot of power in communicating the expectation that all students can achieve at high levels,” Ushomirsky said.

CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY | Diane Melley, vice president of Global Citizenship Initiatives at IBM Corporate Citizenship & Corporate Affairs, discusses why her organization invests staff time and professional development dollars in the Institute for CSR. (Daily, 9/7)

Related: Early bird registration for the 2018 Institute for CSR is now open! Download an application here.

WRAG COMMUNITY | We’re happy to announce that Katy Moore, WRAG’s managing director of corporate strategy, welcomed a beautiful baby girl, Karys Ann Quinn, on August 21! Mom, Dad, and Baby are doing well!

HEALTH CARE | St. Elizabeths East campus could be the future site of the hospital that will replace United Medical Center, according to District officials. (WAMU, 9/6)

IMMIGRATION | Virginia, D.C. Join Lawsuit To Stop Trump’s Plan To End DACA Program (WAMU, 9/6)

LGBTQ | This activist is providing a supportive space for the District’s Black LGBT community and is also advocating for them. (AFRO, 8/31)

PUBLIC SAFETY | Former and current inmates at a Virginia women’s prison report continued substandard health care, which contributed to the death of two inmates. (WaPo, 9/6)

CLIMATE JUSTICE | Jacqueline Patterson, director of the NAACP Environmental and Climate Justice Program, discusses climate, racial and gender justice. (Yes! Magazine, 8/18)

There were some interesting moustaches for the 2017 World Beard and Moustache Championships.