September 14, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

A look at the gain and loss of income in the Greater Washington region

INCOME | According to Census Bureau statistics released today, the District and Alexandria, VA, were one of the few areas in our region that saw a decline in its median household income in 2016. Loudoun, Howard, Fairfax, and Arlington counties all saw gains. (WaPo, 9/14)

[Councilmember David] Grosso said he thinks the District’s demographics are at the root of the numbers: Young people with just-out-of-college salaries flock to the city, but as they start families and their incomes grow, the high-earning couples with children tend to leave for more affordable D.C. suburbs or other regions of the country. He hopes the District’s new paid family leave policy and improving public schools can persuade parents to stay put.

RACE | Tamara Lucas Copeland, WRAG’s president, discusses why nonprofit leadership is still predominantly white and challenges us to think about the root cause of why that is. (Daily, 9/14)

YOUTH/LGBTQ | According to a recently released Youth Risk Behavior Survey, one in four DC teens who identify as lesbian, gay or bisexual have attempted suicide. (MetroWeekly, 8/25)

PUBLIC SAFETYAt Immigration Forum, A Call for Sheriff’s Office’s Relationship With ICE to be ‘Revisited’ (ARLnow, 9/14)

EDUCATION | Loudoun County has launched the state’s first computer science immersion schools, where all students are required to spend part of the school day learning to code. (Loudoun Now, 9/4)

ENVIRONMENT | Maryland advocates want the state to pass legislation requiring state utilities to buy half of their electricity from renewable sources. (WaPo, 9/13)

HEALTH CARE | More than 60,000 Virginians will not be able to buy health insurance next year due to insurers leaving the state’s health exchange. (Richmond Times, 9/13)

The incredibly true story of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s trip to Washington, DC and the Capitol.