September 27, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Funding for home visiting program for low-income families set to expire

CHILDREN & FAMILIES | Research has shown how important home-visiting programs where nurses or social workers provide support to parents during the first years of a child’s life are to the success of children and their families. The legislation that funds this program is set to expire at the end of the month. (WaPo, 9/22)

Federal dollars funded home visits for 1,175 families in Maryland in 2015 and 1,449 families in Virginia. They make up the bulk of funds for home-visiting programs in the District. In a city where nearly a quarter of children under age 5 live below the poverty line, advocates say home visiting is a promising — and already underused — strategy for addressing inequality early.

A report released by the D.C. auditor this summer estimates there are 6,300 households with children under 5 that would benefit from home-visiting programs, based on risk-factor data including poverty levels, access to prenatal care and developmental delays. In fiscal 2015, just over 1,300 families — about a fifth of that number — were served.

ARTS/EQUITY | Tamara Lucas Copeland, WRAG’s president, reflects on the use of satire in “Native Gardens”, a comedy at Arena Stage that looks at how issues of gentrification, implicit bias, and inequity play out between an older White couple and their new, young Latinx neighbors. (Daily, 9/27)

– Most states will begin measuring student success and school quality by looking at chronic absenteeism in their school districts. (NPR, 9/26)

– Report: Six Out of 10 MCPS High School Seniors Met College, Career Readiness Targets (BethesdaBeat, 9/26)

HEALTH CARE | Bernard Tyson, chairman and CEO of Kaiser Permanente, discusses what a healthcare bill compromise would look like. (NPR, 9/27)

WORKFORCE/ IMMIGRATIONWhat DACA Means to Food Industry Workers (Civil Eats, 9/26)

DEVELOPMENT
– This neighborhood activist group has successfully delayed most of the new developments set to begin construction in the Union Market area of the District. (Bisnow, 9/21)

– The new, colorful buildings with murals and other designs you’ve seen in Hyattsville, Maryland are part of a new “Fight the Blight” campaign. (WAMU, 9/26)

POVERTYNew lunch policy in Fauquier County eliminates ‘substitute meals’ for students who can’t pay (Fauquier Times, 9/27)

An Arlington, VA middle school teacher made it to “The Voice”.