September 28, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The District’s wards 7 and 8 residents to participate in a ‘grocery walk’

FOOD INSECURITY | Residents in wards 7 and 8 are planning to raise awareness about the lack of grocery stores and fresh produce in their community by participating in a ‘grocery walk’ on October 14. Ward 8 Councilmember Trayon White and local organizations such as DC Greens, Bread For the City and others will join them. (WCP, 9/27)

Beatrice Evans has called Ward 7 home for most of her life. Now in her sixties, she remembers a time when there were several nearby grocery stores to choose from—Giant, Safeway, and Murry’s. Of that trio, only the Safeway remains and it’s consistently scrutinized for its empty shelves and the poor quality of its food. Now Evans pays someone to drive her to Maryland to shop for produce and other groceries.

“My mom is from the country, so I like my fresh fruits and vegetables,” Evans says. “That’s why I’m still pretty healthy today. To get that same quality I have to go outside of my neighborhood, but it should be right here.”

BUSINESS | Congratulations to Tamika Tremaglio, managing principal and East regional leader of Deloitte LLP, for being recognized as one of Washington Business Journal’s 2017 Women Who Mean Business honorees! (WBJ, 9/27)

AGING
– LGBTQ seniors in the District want more city services designed for them and greater outreach from the city’s Office on Aging. (Washington Blade, 9/27)

– Why Huge Quality Gaps Among Nursing Homes Are Likely To Grow If Medicaid Is Cut (NPR, 9/28)

ENVIRONMENT | Maryland has filed a lawsuit against the US Environmental Protection Agency to force them to take action on upwind air pollution from five other states. (WaPo, 9/27)

ARTS & HUMANITIESMaps: Here’s Where 10 New Murals Are Going Up Around D.C. (DCist, 9/27)

RACISM
– American University’s administration responds after students find posters of the Confederate flag, with cotton attached to them, earlier this week. (WaPo, 9/27)

– Arlington County, VA is hosting workshops, Challenging Racism: Learning How, for residents this fall.

Happy National Strawberry Cream Pie Day!