October 2, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

DC youth in wards 7 and 8 receive a large investment in their education

EDUCATION | The DC College Access Program, a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to helping District high school students get into college and graduate, recently received a $10 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The funds will be used, in part, to award college scholarships to students that live in wards 7 and 8. (WaPo, 10/2)

The Gates Foundation grant also will be used to award college scholarships to students who live in Southeast Washington. With additional contributions of $1 million from Monumental Sports & Entertainment and $7 million from DC-CAP’s own private funds, the new Ward 7 & 8 Scholarship Fund will provide eligible students up to $25,000 in financial support for their ­higher-education goals.

“If the cost of college is more than your annual income, it’s a very scary proposition,” said Argelia Rodriguez, president and chief executive of DC-CAP. “The earlier we instill in both students and parents that this is possible and that we’re going to give you the support, the better.”

HEALTH/ YOUTH
– 9 million kids get health insurance under CHIP. Congress just let it expire. (WaPo, 10/1)

– The District’s Department of Health has launched a new campaign to engage youth and their caregivers to have honest conversations about sex. (Washington Times, 9/29)

TRANSIT | Advocates want Metro to decriminalize fare evasion because they believe it disproportionately impacts people of color. (WAMU, 9/29)

PHILANTHROPYNative American Activist Builds Bridges Between Tribal Communities and Funders (Chronicle, 9/29 – Subscription needed)

IMMIGRATION | Last week, the US Immigration and Custom Enforcement led a four-day crackdown on jurisdictions it believes are sanctuary cities. 28 people were taken in Maryland and 14 in the District. (Bethesda Beat, 9/29)

CHILDREN & FAMILIES | The District has launched a new website that lists the different childcare options, both center- and home- based, that the city offers. (WAMU, 9/29)

VETERANS | A nonprofit wants to build affordable housing for low-income veterans in Manassas, VA. (Potomac Local, 10/2)

PUBLIC SAFETY/ MENTAL HEALTH | Ten years ago, the DC court system and the DC Department of Behavioral Health created the District’s Mental Health Community Court to help individuals that have behavioral health issues avoid jail time. (WCP, 10/2)

Take a short trip through this storybook town (use your direction keys to move) and pick up the passengers.