October 5, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The A. James and Alice B. Clark Foundation gives $219 million gift to the University of Maryland

EDUCATION | The A. James and Alice B. Clark Foundation, which recently changed its name from the Clark Charitable Foundation and funds in areas such as engineering, DC education and veterans support, made history yesterday when it announced a $219 million gift to the University of Maryland. (WaPo, 10/4)

The U-Md. gift has been under discussion for about two years. [The daughter of A. James Clark, Courtney Clark] Pastrick said the foundation plans to disburse it over the next decade. “This is our largest investment to date,” she said. “We love the state. We love the school. For my family and my mom, it’s a really exciting time.”

With its gift, U-Md. plans three financial aid initiatives. The “Clark Challenge for Maryland Promise” will help the university raise money through matching funds to support need-based scholarships for a wide spectrum of students. The second will provide scholarships to 40 engineering undergraduates a year, with priority for in-state students. And the third will target help to 40 engineering majors a year who transfer from Maryland community colleges.

WRAG COMMUNITY | WRAG is sad to announce the retirement of Phyllis Kaye from the Healthy Communities Working Group. We are grateful for her years of service and wish her good luck in her new journey. We’re happy to announce that longtime member of the group, Jenny Schitter, principal health planner at the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, will be the new consultant to the group. (Daily, 10/5)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | Mayor Muriel Bowser recently announced that the DC government will invest $75 million from DC’s Housing Production Trust Fund to  preserve or create over 500 affordable housing units in the city. (BisNow, 10/4)

CHILD POVERTYAmerica’s Child-Poverty Rate Has Hit a Record Low (Atlantic, 10/5)

WORKFORCE
– The DC Council has proposed legislation to decriminalize sex work in the city. (DCist, 10/5)

– Opinion: Five ways DC rocks (and two ways it doesn’t) at social entrepreneurship (GGWash, 10/4)

AGING | As more residents living in urban areas plan to age in place, cities are trying to find ways to accommodate them. (Citylab, 10/5)

Hopefully, this doesn’t ruin anyone’s day. Archaeologists have finally confirmed that Santa is dead.