October 19, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How the loss of CHIP funds will impact the Greater Washington region

HEALTH / CHILDREN
– Congress let federal funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program run out on September 30. With more than 250,000 children in our region insured through this program, officials will have to figure out how to continue supporting these children with less funding. (WAMU, 10/19)

Linda Nablo, the Chief Deputy Director for the Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services, has spent years overseeing CHIP in Virginia and at the national level. She says about half of the 126,000 children paid for with CHIP dollars in Virginia have coverage through Medicaid, and these children — like those in D.C. and Maryland — would not be at risk of losing it. But other Virginia children are in a different situation.

“The other 66,000 kids are in a separate program and they would be in jeopardy of losing coverage,” Nablo said. Most states have this combination set up for CHIP and are in the same boat.

Almost half of D.C. children have suffered a traumatic experience, according to first-ever federal survey (WaPo, 10/19)

RACIAL EQUITY | Last night WRAG’s Racial Equity Working Group, in partnership with IMPACT Silver Spring, convened community members in Montgomery County, Maryland to learn about its racial history and to envision what a racially equitable Montgomery County would look like. Thanks to Caitlin Duffy of Diverse City Fund for tweeting the event.

PUBLIC SAFETY
– Montgomery County is increasing its efforts to prevent students from joining gangs by encouraging information sharing between law enforcement and school officials when they perceive a student is exhibiting “gang-related” activity. (Bethesda Beat, 10/18)

– Here’s a reminder that even if marijuana is legal in the District, depending on your job, it may still be illegal for you. (AFRO, 10/18)

– A John Hopkins University researcher has proposed a $1.46 billion tutoring plan to help Maryland students increase their PARCC test scores. (Maryland Reporter, 10/17)

– Opinion: DC’s charter schools are sharply segregated. Here’s what we should do about the racial and economic divide. (GGWash, 10/18)

So I’ve learned that McDonalds tried to sale a pineapple and cheese sandwich in the past. Here’s a list of other food items that failed.