October 24, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

A new report explores the obstacles faced by children in immigrant families in the US

CHILDREN & FAMILIES/IMMIGRATION | Annie E. Casey Foundation has released a new report, 2017 Race for Results: Building a Path to Opportunity for All Children, that explores the challenges children in immigrant families face. The report also includes updated results for the 2014 Race for Results report, which measured children’s progress by race and ethnicity at the national and state levels. (WaPo, 10/24)

“When you hear conversations about immigration and immigration policies, it’s rare that you hear about the impacts on kids being discussed,” said Laura Steer, associate director for policy reform and advocacy for the Casey Foundation. “These kids are going to be our future leaders, our future workforce. We need them to be successful if we are going to be successful as a country.”

While children of immigrants make up less than a quarter of the nation’s population of children, they account for 30 percent of those from low-income families, the report says.

HEALTH CARE
– For those who plan to sign up for health care through the Affordable Care Act’s marketplace, here’s a quick overview of deadlines and requirements that you need to know. (WAMU, 10/24)

–  Whitman-Walker breaks ground on redevelopment project for Elizabeth Taylor site (Metro Weekly, 10/19)

TRANSIT | A coalition of small business leaders in the region have written an open letter in support of a long-term funding solution for Metro and a reversal of the recent fare hikes. (WaPo, 10/24)

EDUCATIONHow Much Does the Government Really Need to Know About College Students in America? (Atlantic, 10/24)

ARTS & HUMANITIES | This new art exhibit, Before the 45th | Action/Reaction in Chicano and Latino Art, at the Mexican Cultural Institute of Washington, DC tells the story of the Mexican and Latinx American civil rights struggle in the US from the 1970s to the present. (WCP, 10/20)

Here’s one of my favorite things about Halloween – check out these pictures of scared people in haunted houses!