October 25, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How the Thriving Germantown initiative is supporting a low-income community in Montgomery County

MARYLAND/POVERTY | Many of the students at Daly Elementary School in Germantown, Maryland are from low-income families of color. The school staff strives to meet the students needs outside of education but often aren’t able. After learning of the community, Crystal Townsend, WRAG board member and president of the Healthcare Initiative Foundation, stepped in with help from other organizations to offer additional resources through the Thriving Germantown initiative. (Bethesda Magazine, 10/24)

“There isn’t an anchor nonprofit in Germantown, and there isn’t a municipality, but here we have the fastest-growing population and poverty rate in the county,” said HIF president Crystal Carr Townsend, who has spent much of her career overseeing social service programs. “How do you make headway on this? How do you catch this tide before Daly becomes a 90-percent FARMS school?”

With support from several funders, Family Service Inc. operates the Thriving Germantown Community HUB, designed to help Germantown families connect to health care, early child care, food assistance, workforce development, ESOL classes and more. The focal point is Daly: Each school year, families with a child in pre-Kindergarten or kindergarten will be eligible to enroll in the program, and by the end of the pilot the entire Daly community will have the option to participate, says Townsend.

IMMIGRATIONWill Central Americans, Haitians ‘Protected’ by U.S. Be Sent Home? (NBC News, 10/23)

FOOD/ WORKFORCE
– A new urban farm in the District’s ward 7 community will grow food and teach residents interested in selling their own food how to start their own businesses. (NextCity, 10/24)

– Four prominent chefs discuss the challenges they face as queer women in the food industry. (CivilEats, 10/24)

CHILDREN & YOUTH | The DC Policy Center has released a new report, Needs Assessment of Out-of-School Time Programs in the District of Columbia, that explores how the District’s out-of-school time programs are meeting the needs of youth across the city. (DC Policy Center, 10/24)

HEALTH CAREHotly Contested Proposal On Prescription Drug Prices Could End Up Before D.C. Voters (WAMU, 11/24)

This graphic artist is telling the lesser known stories of the District through comic form.