November 7, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

New report shows the rate of premature births in the Greater Washington region

HEALTH/ CHILDREN & FAMILIES
– According to a new March of Dimes report, which analysed the rate of premature births in the US, Virginia’s rate of premature births has increased, Maryland has stayed the same and the District has the worst rate in the region. (WAMU, 11/2)

Spontaneous labor accounts for half of all babies born before 37 weeks — why that happens is a mystery. Genetics may contribute, while infections and environmental factors may also play a role.

“She might need smoking cessation, she might need help with housing,” said Gabriela Garcia of the March of Dimes in Maryland and D.C., talking about the risk factors for individual moms.

Garcia said while there are a lot of great targeted programs in our region, not enough look holistically at all of the resources — medical and otherwise — that a woman might need to make it to 40 weeks.

– On Consumer Health Foundation‘s blog, I wrote about the District’s response to the maternal healthcare crisis that is impacting low-income black and brown pregnant women. (CHF Blog, 11/7)

EDUCATION | Adele Fabrikant, executive director of Teach For America’s DC Region and Maura Marino, CEO of Education Forward DC, reflect on how funders can address implicit bias in education. (Daily, 11/7)

Related: Funders, join us on December 1 for the last program in WRAG’s 2017 Public Education Learning Series: “Ensuring All Students Graduate College AND Career Ready”. Register here

WORKFORCE
– Today the Montgomery County Council will vote on a new version of a bill that would raise the minimum wage to $15 in the county. (WaPo, 11/7)

– District Wharf Phase II Faces Challenge From Labor Unions (WAMU, 11/6)

ECONOMY | Local economist Stephen Fuller recently advised Prince William County’s Chamber of Commerce and supervisors to build more high-quality, walkable communities to attract younger workers. (InsideNOVA, 11/6)

The Daily will be back on Thursday!

We look forward to seeing you all at WRAG’s annual meeting at the MGM National Harbor tomorrow!