November 9, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

A Recap of WRAG’s 2017 Annual Meeting, Power Reframed

Yesterday, we hosted our biggest event of the year – WRAG’s 2017 Annual Meeting, Power Reframed. Many thanks to the 350 funders and nonprofit leaders who joined us at MGM National Harbor!

Richard Rothstein, author of The Color of Law, spoke to WRAG members about the forgotten history of the federal government’s role in maintaining residential segregation. Eric Liu, author of You’re More Powerful Than You Think, inspired the audience to rethink the way we can all wield power, following a powerful performance by the Taratibu Youth Association. Check out the conversation on Twitter!

We are pleased to announce that at the business meeting, members elected three new board members. We are honored to welcome:

• Kelly Lynch, Executive Director, Diane & Norman Bernstein Foundation
  • Amy Owen, Executive Director, Community Foundation for Loudoun and Northern Fauquier Counties
  • M. Craig Pascal, SVP & Community Development Manager, BB&T

We welcomed back the following board members:

• David Bowers, VP & Mid-Atlantic Market Leader, Enterprise Community Partners, Inc. (second two-year term)
  • Nicky Goren, President & CEO, The Meyer Foundation (second two-year term)
  • Lindsey Buss, Senior Officer for Community Outreach, World Bank Group (third two-year term)
  • Desiree Griffin-Moore, Executive Director, Community Foundation in Prince George’s County (third two-year term)
  • Yanique Redwood, President & CEO, Consumer Health Foundation (third two-year term)

And, we recognized the contributions of three outgoing board members:

• Rose Ann Cleveland, former executive director, The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation
  • Mary McClymont, former president, Public Welfare Foundation
  • Diana Meyer, former Washington metro marketplace manager, Citi Community Development

Lastly, we thanked Lynn Tadlock, deputy executive director of giving at The Claude Moore Charitable Foundation, for her service as board chair over the past two years.

PHILANTHROPY | The Annual Meeting also marked the release of the 2017 edition of WRAG’s Our Region, Our Giving report on WRAG member philanthropy in the Greater Washington region. The report, which features a special look at how WRAG members are supporting advocacy, represents nearly $146 million in giving to nonprofit organizations that serve the region, and over $3.5 billion in assets. (Daily, 11/9)

EDUCATION | Karen FitzGerald, program director at the The Meyer Foundation, discusses the impact that Urban Alliance’s high school internship program is having on students across the region and the US. (Washington Monthly, 11/7)

WORKFORCE | The Montgomery County Council has approved the $15 minimum wage bill. (Bethesda Beat, 11/7)

ELECTION | Women, minorities, LGBTQ people – and a Democratic Socialist – will change the face of Virginia’s House (Richmond Times, 11,8)

TRANSIT | Alexandria County, Virginia will adopt the safety initiative, Vision Zero, which was created to eliminate roadway fatalities and serious injuries. (WAMU, 11/8)

As we get closer to the holidays, you may be wondering what you can do to make sure everyone is able to celebrate comfortably with their families. Here’s how you can help.