November 14, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

The tax cut bill could hurt some District families

TAX REFORM
– Yesterday DC Mayor Muriel E. Bowser and DC’s nonvoting Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton responded to Congress’s tax cut bill. They said the bill will increase taxes for some families living in the city and it will hurt the city’s efforts to create and preserve affordable housing. (WaPo, 11/13)

At a news conference outside the U.S. Capitol, D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) and Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) said the proposal to eliminate the deduction for state and local income and property taxes could lead to sharp hikes in the overall tax bill for some District families. The increase could be more than 10 percent in some parts of the city.

Bowser and Norton said the House bill’s effects are particularly jarring in the District, which already has the highest per capita federal tax rate in the nation despite lacking voting representatives in Congress.

– Senate’s Tax Bill Provisions Could Hurt Charities, Nonprofits Say (Chronicle, 11/10)

Related: The Johnson Amendment, which was under threat of being repealed, remains untouched in this version of the bill. Earlier this year, WRAG signed on to the Community Letter in Support of Nonpartisanship, an initiative of 10 national nonprofit and philanthropy serving organizations, in support of maintaining the amendment.

TRANSPORTATION | A newly released study of Metro, commissioned by Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe, includes recommendations to replace Metro’s 16-member board with a five-member board for three years and a bus fare increase to $2.10. (WaPo, 11/12)

AGING | AARP Foundation‘s legal department is suing a nursing home to stop them from illegally evicting residents. (NPR, 11/13)

EDUCATION | Two DC young people advocate for the 2014 Special Education Reforms, which will allow DC students with disabilities to plan for life after high school at 14 instead of 16, on DC Fiscal Policy Institute’s blog. (DCFPI, 10/25)

ELECTIONNAACP legal fund files lawsuit over voter instructions in key Va. House race (WaPo, 11/14)

Can you predict how much snow will fall in our area this winter?