November 17, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How pollution is killing the communities living closest to industrial facilities

ENVIRONMENTAL RACISM | A new report from the NAACP and the Clean Air Task Force found that black people are 75% more likely to live in communities near industrial facilities, which puts them at higher risk for diseases such as asthma and cancer. (Citylab, 11/15)

According to Fumes Across the Fence-Line, a report from the NAACP and the Clean Air Task Force—an advocacy group dedicated to reducing air pollution—black people are 75 percent more likely to live in so-called “fence-line” communities that are next to industrial facilities. These facilities release a toxic stew of pollutants—including formaldehyde, which has been linked to cancer, and benzene, which has been linked to brain damage, birth defects, and cancer. Using the data on how many Americans are affected by toxic air pollution that CATF compiled for their Fossil Fumes and Gasping for Breath reports, the new study focuses on the specific impact of pollutants in the air on black Americans.

Most fence-line community residents are low-income and predominantly of color. The study reports that more than 1 million black people live within just half a mile of an oil or gas facility and face serious health risks such as cancer, asthma, and other respiratory diseases as well.

PHILANTHROPY | Jeanné Isler, vice president and chief engagement officer of the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy, lists the ways funders can truly support their grantee partners. (NCRP, 11/15)

FOOD INSECURITY | Some District officials are expressing concern over a proposed bill to offer free lunch to students in the city’s public, public charter and some private schools. (WTOP, 11/17)

WORKFORCE | The Durfee Foundation has released a report analyzing 20 years of its sabbatical program. The evaluation found that taking a sabbatical has many benefits, including shifting a nonprofit leader’s perspective from daily management to distributed leadership and generative thinking and activity. (Durfee Foundation, 9/17)

Related: Tamara Lucas Copeland, WRAG’s president, wrote about the value of sabbaticals for nonprofit leaders earlier this year.

TRANSPORTATION | A University of Maryland researcher will study whether the Purple Line will make Prince George’s County residents healthier. (WaPo, 11/16)

ARTS & HUMANITIESWhat’s Inside D.C.’s New Museum Of The Bible — And What Isn’t (WAMU, 11/15)

Social Sector Job Openings 

Receptionist (part-time) | Greater Washington Community Foundation – New!
Director of Development | Open Society Institute – Baltimore – New!
President & CEO | ACT for Alexandria – a community foundation – New!
Program Manager | Washington Area Women’s Foundation
Assistant Director of Digital Marketing & Communications | The Children’s Inn at NIH
Program Director, Washington, DC Community | Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Program Director, Virginia Community | Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Senior Director, Strategy and Racial Equity | Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Vice President, Program and Community | Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Communications Coordinator | Calvary Women’s Services
Controller | Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Program Director | Grantmakers In Health
Sr. Manager, Corporate Relations | Exelon
Program Coordinator | Exponent Philanthropy
Content Manager | Exponent Philanthropy
Communications Manager | United Philanthropy Forum

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar

To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. Click the image below to access the calendar.

Here’s some food art for your Friday afternoon.

One Comment