December 7, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

A new report reveals how the Greater Washington region’s residents perceive their quality of life

REGION | The Greater Washington Community Foundation partnered with the Urban Institute on a recent initiative, Voices of the Community: DC, Maryland, Virginia, to lift up community members’ perceptions of the quality of life in the Greater Washington region. Today, they have released a report focused on resident’s thoughts on well-being and satisfaction, economic security and inclusion, social inclusion and how they view their role in local problem solving. (GWCF, 12/7)

Focus group and community conversations data point to a general sense that
leveraging community strengths, bridging divides within jurisdictions, and putting
more priority on economic development—with responsibility taken across all sectors, not just government—should be emphasized in the search for solutions.

Sharing our regional strength within and across groups and neighborhoods was a
theme that ran throughout the focus group and community conversations. One Asian and Pacific Islander focus group member summed up this fairly common sentiment: “I would like to see all people in our community have access to the great things we have talked about, like public resources, affordable housing, all the good things we [in this focus group] have. I think some of the negative issues in the area are tied to the fact that some people don’t have the same access [as others].”

RACIAL EQUITY | Kathleen P. Enright, president and CEO of Grantmakers for Effective Organizations, discusses her organization’s journey to its decision to integrate racial equity into their mission. (Huffington Post, 12/4)

HEALTH
– A Prince William County, VA supervisor wants more funding to expand treatment programs for people struggling with opioid addiction. (InsideNOVA, 12/5)

– DC Council has passed legislation to prohibit insurance providers from raising fees for preventive health services for women in case the Affordable Care Act is repealed. (WAMU, 12/6)

IMMIGRATION | Yesterday activists and lawmakers gathered at the Capitol to demand action on DACA, which is set to expire on March 5, 2018, and other immigration policies. Two hundred people were arrested, including two Maryland officials. (WaPo, 12/6)

PHILANTHROPY | Bridgespan researchers have developed a “framework for audacious philanthropy” after analyzing the success of 15 major societal changes, such as the widespread adoption of CPR and marriage equality. (Fast Company, 8/29)

FOOD INSECURITY | DC Central Kitchen has purchased a new van, with a grant from the World Bank Group, to help achieve its New Year’s resolution to recover and repurpose one million pounds of food in the region. (WJLA, 12/4)

WORKFORCE | A local university will not support its graduate students’ efforts to unionize, stating that they are students, not employees. (WaPo, 12/6)

TECHNOLOGYHow Internet Co-ops Can Protect Us From Net Neutrality Rollbacks (YES! Magazine, 11/22)

What would you tell your future self? Why don’t you type it up and email it to yourself?