December 8, 2017 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Homelessness has increased nationwide, according to new report

HOMELESSNESS | The US Department of Housing and Urban Development has released its 2017 Annual Homeless Assessment Report, which is based on data from the nationwide point-in-time estimate that was conducted in January. The report found that while homelessness has increased by 1 percent nationally, it is mostly driven by an increase in the country’s most populous cities. (Citylab, 12/7)

“The commonality in [these places] are rapidly rising rents, with not rapidly rising incomes. This is causing the displacement of a significant number of people,” said HUD Secretary Ben Carson during a press call on Wednesday. Matthew Doherty, executive director of the U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness, agreed. “High cost and low vacancy rates are putting more people at risk of entering homelessness, and they’re making it harder and harder for people to find housing as they strive to exit homelessness.”

RACISM / HEALTH | Black Mothers Keep Dying After Giving Birth. Shalon Irving’s Story Explains Why (NPR, 12/7)

TAX REFORM | Yesim Sayin Taylor, executive director of the DC Policy Center, explains how the elimination of the State and Local Tax (SALT) deduction will impact the Greater Washington region’s population growth. (DC Policy Center, 12/7)

PHILANTHROPY | Vanessa Daniel, founder and executive director of the Groundswell Fund, discusses her organization’s Liberation Fund and the intersection of reproductive justice and racial equity. (PND Blog, 12/7)

TRANSIT
– The DC Council has introduced legislation to prevent low-income residents from having their driver’s licenses suspended because they cannot afford to pay fines. (WaPo, 12/5)

– Upset about the I-66 tolls? These Virginia lawmakers are with you. (WaPo, 12/7)

EDUCATION | Southeast Ministry, a nonprofit in DC’s Congress Heights community, is helping adults with and without high school diplomas become more employable by offering training on high school equivalency tests and occupational training qualification exams. (WaPo, 12/5)

Social Sector Job Openings 

Development and Marketing Associate | Laurel Advocacy and Referral Services, Inc. – New!
Director of Grants Management | Democracy Fund
Officer, Communications | The Pew Charitable Trusts
Events Assistant | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Member Engagement Manager | United Philanthropy Forum
Finance Manager (Part-Time) | United Philanthropy Forum
Vice President, Program and Community | Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Senior Director, Strategy and Racial Equity | Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Program Director, Washington, DC Community | Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Program Director, Virginia Community | Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Receptionist (part-time) | Greater Washington Community Foundation
President & CEO | ACT for Alexandria – a community foundation
Assistant Director of Digital Marketing & Communications | The Children’s Inn at NIH
Controller | Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Communications Manager | United Philanthropy Forum

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar

To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. Click the image below to access the calendar.

This is like Google Earth but for planets.