January 4, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Allowing Virginia DACA recipients to pay in-state tuition is good investment for the state, according to new report

– In 2014, Virginia made a decision to allow residents that are DACA recipients to pay in-state tuition at the state’s colleges and universities. Due to the current uncertainty surrounding the DACA program, the Commonwealth Institute for Fiscal Analysis has released a brief report detailing how extending in-state tuition to DACA recipients in Virginia is an investment for the state. (TCI, 1/2)

The availability of in-state tuition rates at public colleges and universities for Virginians provides a pathway to better jobs and opportunities that benefit students and the state economy. And looking at Virginia’s experience over the last three years, it’s clear that allowing Virginia students who have deferred action immigration status to pay in-state rates does not create a cost burden to the state or result in overcrowded classrooms.

During the 2015 legislative session, Virginia’s General Assembly recognized the importance of providing access to college for all Virginians and rejected a proposal that would have singled out a group of Virginians — those with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals status — and barred them from being able to pay in-state tuition rates.

– Prince William County schools population grows, and so does the debate over trailer classrooms and school overcrowding (Potomac Local, 1/4)

ECONOMY | In an effort to address Montgomery County’s $120 million operating budget shortfall, County Executive Ike Leggett has proposed cuts to the school system, Montgomery Cares community health program and others. (Bethesda Beat, 1/3)

AGINGWhen Nursing Homes Push Out Poor And Disabled Patients (KHN, 12/20)

DISCRIMINATION | The Justice Department has rescinded 25 legal guidance letters that provided explanations of federal laws related to civil rights protections. (NYT, 12/21)

WORKFORCE | The Gig Economy May Strengthen Men’s ‘Invisible Advantage’ at Work (CityLab, 1/3)

ENVIRONMENT
– Prince George’s County is updating a zoning ordinance and has proposed requiring developers to build with a minimum level of environmentally-friendly standards. (GGW, 1/3)

– Dominion Energy plans to permanently bury 4 million tons of coal ash in Prince William County. Legislators plan to introduce bills to stop them. (InsideNOVA, 1/4)

There is an American Ninja Warrior-inspired gym in Maryland!