January 9, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

How the end of TPS will impact the Greater Washington region’s Salvadoran community and the region

IMMIGRATION
– Yesterday the federal government announced that Temporary Protective Status for people from El Salvador will end in September 2019. Many in the Greater Washington region reacted to the news that many Salvadorans, who make up the largest immigrant group in our region, will have to leave the homes they’ve made here. (WaPo, 1/8)

Labor leaders said Salvadorans with protected status mop floors in Washington museums and empty wastebaskets at the World Bank. They are also construction workers, business owners, managers and investors. A mass exodus would impact the D.C. workforce and economy, as well as the economy in El Salvador, where TPS holders send millions of dollars to family members each year.

“It is going to be devastating for us,” said Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker III (D). “Whether it’s construction or the service industry, the impact it will have is just devastating.”

– Decision to End Protected Status for Salvadorans Expected to Affect Montgomery County Immigrants (Bethesda Beat, 1/8)

RACIAL EQUITYMeyer Foundation‘s Karen Fitzgerald, senior director for program and community, and Julian Haynes, Maryland program director, have announced that the foundation has a new grantmaking focus to align with its commitment to racial equity. (Meyer Blog, 1/8)

PHILANTHROPY | Aaron Dorfman, CEO of the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy, lists the three things foundations can do to support nonprofits this year. (Chronicle, 1/8 – Subscription needed)

HOUSING | The Administration Just Derailed a Key Obama Rule on Housing Segregation (CityLab, 1/4)

CLIMATE CHANGE | A new tool on Google shows how rising sea levels will impact various cities. The District’s Southwest and Southeast areas would be the most devastated. (UrbanTurf, 1/8)

– Northern Virginia is taking steps to diversify its teaching force by recruiting and hiring more teachers of color. (WaPo, 1/7)

– Expansion of AP computer science courses draws more girls and students of color (WaPo, 1/8)

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1968 Poor People’s Campaign and Resurrection City, the DC Public Library has digitized the Poor People’s Campaign Collection, which contains memorabilia, newspapers, and other items that document the campaign.