January 12, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

High school students in the Greater Washington region are learning advocacy strategies

ADVOCACY/ YOUTH | Last year saw many residents in the Greater Washington region becoming more involved in politics and considering their roles as citizens in this nation. Youth, especially high school students, were particularly involved in demonstrations, such as the walkout after the administration’s DACA decision. Now young people across the region have come together for a three-day summit to better understand their civil rights.

Students also heard from Claudia Quiñonez, who helped organize a group of undocumented students, parents and supporters into United We Dream, a reference to those who had gained legal status under the now eliminated Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals. They watched a documentary on Joe Arpaio, the longtime Phoenix-area sheriff whose approach to jail and immigration issues attracted controversy, and a movie about Edward Snowden, the former NSA contractor who disclosed documents on government surveillance programs.

“Things that go on in our world . . . affect us, too, and I think it’s really cool that we get to have those types of conversations,” said Chloe Pine, a 15-year-old member of the ACLU club at the School Without Walls.

NONPROFITSPotomac Health Foundation has partnered with Prince William Public Library System and the Foundation Center to help Prince William County grantseekers by opening a Funding Information Network. (PWL, 1/11)

MARYLAND | Maryland’s House of Delegates have voted to enact paid sick leave in the state and ban the box on private and public college’s student applications. (WaPo, 1/11)

– The Manassas mobile home park that was in danger of being sold, and leaving 58 families homeless was officially bought by a nonprofit, Catholics for Housing. (InsideNOVA, 1/11)

DC Mayor Bowser announces $2.5M loan that will preserve 49 affordable units in Fort Totten (Curbed DC, 1/11)

EDUCATION | America’s Schools Are ‘Profoundly Unequal,’ Says U.S. Civil Rights Commission (NPR, 1/11)

ARTS & HUMANITIES | ​DC was​ ​named​ ​the​ ​25th Any​ ​Given​ ​Child​ ​city​ ​by​ ​the​ ​John​ ​F.​ ​Kennedy​ ​Center​ ​for​ ​the​ ​Performing​ ​Arts. Any Given Child is a collective impact program that assists communities in expanding arts education in schools. Help the DC Arts and Humanities Education Collaborative collect information about the city’s existing arts education programs for youth by completing this survey.

Social Sector Job Openings 

Executive Director, Rock Creek Conservancy | Rock Creek Conservancy
Finance and Operations Associate | Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Development Manager | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Development Associate | New Endeavors by Women
Executive Director | My Sister’s Place
Philanthropy Officer | Community Foundation for Northern Virginia
TIAA Nonprofit Leadership Fellows | University of Maryland & Do Good Institute
Director of Membership and Programs | Funders Together to End Homelessness
Director of Policy and Communication | Consumer Health Foundation
Development and Marketing Associate | Laurel Advocacy and Referral Services, Inc.
Director of Grants Management | Democracy Fund
Officer, Communications | The Pew Charitable Trusts
Events Assistant | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Member Engagement Manager | United Philanthropy Forum
Finance Manager (Part-Time) | United Philanthropy Forum
Vice President, Program and Community | Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Senior Director, Strategy and Racial Equity | Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Program Director, Washington, DC Community | Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Program Director, Virginia Community | Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Communications Manager | United Philanthropy Forum

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar

To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. 

The Daily will be back on Tuesday.

Here’s some Michael Jackson to start off your Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend.