January 16, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

On Martin Luther King Jr Day, the country reflects

RACIAL EQUITY
– This weekend local residents and visitors flocked to the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial, the first on the Mall to honor a black man, to commemorate the holiday. These individuals embraced King’s words etched into the stone monument and reflected on the state of race relations in this country and how much further we have to go. (WaPo, 1/15)

At the entrance to the memorial, two huge granite stones split, symbolizing that “mountain.” A slice of the sculpture is pushed out several feet from the split, and from this slice, King’s image emerges, carved into a “stone of hope,” a second massive piece of granite.

Some visitors recalled the optimism about race relations when the monument was unveiled. But now, they said, the country seems stuck in a dark period of racial tensions and open hostility toward new immigrants, shocked by Ku Klux Klan rallies and a president who referred last week to El Salvador, Haiti and African nations as “shithole countries.” The progress in the country’s race relations since King was assassinated that April day in Memphis seems to have become twisted, stuck in a time warp.

– In honor of the second annual National Day of Racial Healing, Tamara Lucas Copeland, WRAG’s president, reflects on her own journey to healing and how WRAG’s Putting Racism on the Table series has activated the Greater Washington region’s own philanthropic sector. (Daily, 1/16)

NONPROFITS | Rick Moyers, former vice president for programs and communications at Meyer Foundation, advises nonprofit boards to re-examine their recruitment strategies and have discussions about how structural racism and implicit bias have infected our society in order to create more diverse boards. (Chronicle, 1/8 – Subscription needed)

ARTS/HOMELESSNESS | Due to an installation of artwork in two underpasses in the District’s NoMA neighborhood, homeless individuals are being displaced. (WaPo, 1/15)

PUBLIC SAFETY | Jessica Raven, executive director of Collective Action for Safe Spaces, discusses the impact of sexual violence on low-income communities and communities of color in DC. (GGW, 1/11)

EDUCATION | Georgetown University has approved a proposal to include LGBT-only student housing on its campus. (Washington Blade, 1/15)

ENVIRONMENT | DC’s Mayor Muriel Bowser has designated Kingman and Heritage Islands as a state conservation area. The city envisions the islands as a place for outdoor learning with an environmental center. (WAMU, 1/12)

CRIMINAL JUSTICEBill would change Virginia’s ‘three-strikes’ law on parole eligibility (Richmond Times, 1/15)

This new Google Arts & Culture app will match your face to paintings. Find your doppelganger now!