January 17, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

DC’s public high schools plagued with chronic absenteeism

EDUCATION | A new report released yesterday found that more than 1 of every 10 students that graduated from a District public high school missed most of the 2017 school year, and teachers felt pressured to pass them. DC officials called for an investigation into the school system after NPR found that most of Ballou High School’s graduates were chronically absent. There has yet to be an investigation into the root causes of why these low-income students of color have poor attendance. (WaPo, 1/16)

The review saved some of its sharpest criticism for Ballou High School, which has been engulfed in controversy amid a graduation scandal. The report found that the school’s administrators told teachers that a high percentage of their students were expected to pass and encouraged them to provide makeup work and extra credit to students, no matter how much school they missed. Teachers received little training in a new grading system, and their annual performance reviews hinged in small part on their success in graduating students.

2020 CENSUS | Vu Le, Nonprofit AF blogger, discusses why nonprofit organizations and funders should work together to make sure everyone is counted in the upcoming Census. (NAF, 1/16)

CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY | Marc DeCourcey, senior vice president of the US Chamber of Commerce Foundation, WRAG’s partner in the Institute for CSR, discusses how companies such as Boeing and Wells Fargo have increased their community investments. (LinkdIn, 12/21)

HOUSINGThe Wharf development raises the question: How affordable is ‘affordable’? (GGW, 1/12)

NONPROFIT | The Center for Nonprofit Advancement is asking for applications for the 2018 Advancement In Management (AIM) Award Competition. Nonprofits in the Greater Washington region that believe they demonstrate outstanding achievement in organizational management can apply here.

HOMELESSNESS | Cheryl Bell, executive chef at Miriam’s Kitchen, recalls her journey into the nonprofit sector and how the organization impacts the District’s homeless population. (BYT, 1/16)

HEALTH CAREVirginia hospitals want proposed tax on profits out of budget in push to expand Medicaid (Richmond Times, 1/16)

ENVIRONMENT | The Environmental Protection Agency is changing the way it assesses new chemicals for health and environmental hazards, causing advocates and environmental experts concern. (NBC News, 1/17)

Just some helpful advice: You could seriously hurt yourself by trying to stifle a sneeze.