January 23, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Maryland’s governor has proposed a $5 billion offer to entice Amazon’s second headquarters

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
– Last week Amazon announced that DC, Montgomery County, and Northern Virginia were among the 20 finalists for its second headquarters. Now Maryland has revealed some of its offer, which includes $3 billion in tax breaks and grants and $2 billion in transportation upgrades. (WaPo, 1/22)

Maryland used creative capitalization in naming the bill, to give it a catchy — and Amazon-specific — acronym: the “Promoting ext-Raordinary Innovation in Maryland’s Economy (PRIME) Act of 2018.”

The bill includes a clawback provision that would allow the state to recover tax credits if the company fails to hire at least 40,000 people with average compensation of $100,000 a year. Larry Hogan’s [Maryland’s governor] proposal also provides $150 million in direct grants to Amazon from the state Sunny Day Fund — $10 million a year for 15 years.

– Yesterday, Rosie Allen-Herring, president & CEO of United Way of The National Capital Area, joined the Kojo Nnamdi Show to discuss what it would mean if Amazon decides to locate its second headquarters to the Greater Washington region. (WAMU, 1/22)

– Advocates, including students and parents, are still pushing for the Loudoun County school board to adopt anti-discrimination protections for LGBTQ students and teachers. (Loudoun Times, 1/22)

– The administration recently announced that it would end temporary protected status for Haitian and Salvadoran immigrants. Among this population is 1,400 Salvadoran teachers that would be forced to leave. (EdWeek, 1/19)

IMMIGRATION | DACA recipients and other immigrant activists react to the approval of a short-term bill to end the government shutdown that doesn’t include concrete protections for immigrants. (Atlantic, 1/22)

ARTS & HUMANITIES | The DC Office of Planning, in collaboration with the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities and the Office of Cable Television, Film, Music and Entertainment, has released a new cultural plan on how to better support artists and cultivate arts spaces in the city. (Urban Turf, 1/22)

HEALTH CARE/CHILDRENCHIP Renewed For Six Years As Congress Votes To Reopen Federal Government (KHN, 1/22)

WORKFORCE | Although Congress was able to end the government shutdown yesterday, there could be another one in just a few weeks. Read a new report by the Stephen S. Fuller Institute and GMU on what a shutdown means for the Greater Washington region’s economy. (S. Fuller Institute, 1/22)

The Daily will be back on Thursday!

Have you ever been walking down the street and saw a tree eating another object? Here’s your chance

One Comment