January 26, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

This is how racism and discrimination is making us sick

HEALTH CARE
– Arline Geronimus, public health researcher and professor at the University of Michigan’s Population Studies Center, coined the term weathering in 1970 to describe how stress from discrimination affected the health of communities of color. She discusses the impact of racism in this interview. (NPR, 1/14)

When Arline Geronimus was a student at Princeton University in the late 1970s, she worked a part-time job at a school for pregnant teenagers in Trenton, N.J. She quickly noticed that the teenagers at that part-time job were suffering from chronic health conditions that her whiter, better-off Princeton classmates rarely experienced. Geronimus began to wonder: how much of the health problems that the young mothers in Trenton experienced were caused by the stresses of their environment?

It was later, during her graduate studies, that Geronimus came up with the term weathering — a metaphor, she thought, for what she saw happening to their bodies. She meant for weathering to evoke a sense of erosion by constant stress. But also, importantly, the ways that marginalized people and their communities coped with the drumbeat of big and small stressors that marked their lives.

– Virginia Senate panel defeats legislation to expand Medicaid (Richmond Times, 1/25)

HOMELESSNESS | On Wednesday, DC participated in the annual “Point in Time” survey to help estimate the country’s homeless population. (WaPo, 1/25)

PUBLIC SAFETY 
– A Prince William County program has been able to successfully divert people experiencing a mental health emergency from being incarcerated. (InsideNOVA, 1/25)

– How the DOJ Is Broadening Its Attack on Sanctuary Cities (CityLab, 1/25)

HOUSING | A recent analysis found that it is more affordable to rent than to own a home in the Greater Washington region. The only exception is Prince George’s County, MD. (WaPo, 1/25)

WORKFORCE | The Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington will offer training to prevent sexual harassment and discrimination in area restaurants. (WBJ, 1/25)

Social Sector Job Openings 

Program Officer – Education | The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation – New!
Program Coordinator | Exponent Philanthropy – New!
Development Associate | Society for Science & the Public – New!
Knowledge Services Specialist | United Philanthropy Forum
Associate Director of Policy | United Philanthropy Forum
Finance and Operations Associate | Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
Development Manager | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations
Development Associate | New Endeavors by Women
Executive Director | My Sister’s Place
Philanthropy Officer | Community Foundation for Northern Virginia
Member Engagement Manager | United Philanthropy Forum
Finance Manager (Part-Time) | United Philanthropy Forum
Communications Manager | United Philanthropy Forum

Hiring? Post your job on WRAG’s job board and get it included in the Daily! Free for members; $60/60 days for non-members. Details here.

Community Calendar

To add an event to WRAG’s community calendar, email Rebekah Seder. 

The National Zoo now has new red pandas.