January 29, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Fighting for a living wage in Northern Virginia’s school system

– When we talk about salaries and education, most of the time we are referring to educators, but what about the school healthcare workers, custodians, and bus drivers? In Loudoun County, officials are realizing how many of these workers are living near the poverty level and are working to increase their wages. (WaPo, 1/28)

In Loudoun County and other wealthy suburbs, some of those employees … have to work second or third jobs. And even then, they can’t afford to live in the communities they serve because of high housing costs.

Loudoun schools are moving to address lagging pay, with increases proposed for next year. But employees and educators say that’s insufficient.

“If these people are important enough to work for our kids, why aren’t they important enough to be paid a living wage?” said David Palanzi, president of the Loudoun Education Association, a local federation of school employees.

– Students and teachers say Ballou report doesn’t reflect the school they know (WaPo, 1/26)

NONPROFITS | Principle vs. Impact: When Should Institutions Keep Tainted Donations? (Inside Philanthropy, 1/22)

WORKFORCE/HOMELESSNESS | The DC Department of Employment Services is partnering with other organizations to employ more people experiencing homelessness or housing insecurity. (Street Sense, 1/26)

FOOD/IMMIGRATRIONA Cookbook Highlights the Power of Immigrants to Make Positive Change (CivilEats, 1/29)

LGBTQ RIGHTS | According to a new report by GLAAD, US acceptance of LGBTQ people declined significantly in 2017. (MetroWeekly, 1/25)

EQUITYDoes America Have a Caste System? (CityLab, 1/26)

Like puzzles? Can you figure out where these pieces go in this image?