February 5, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Charitable giving in Loudoun County lags behind the region’s giving

CHARITABLE GIVING | A new analysis by the Chronicle of Philanthropy found that Loudoun County’s giving rates have remained the same since 2014. Amy Owen, executive director of the Community Foundation for Loudoun and Northern Fauquier Counties, which recently launched the Faces of Loudoun campaign responded to the news with disappointment. WRAG worked on the Faces of Loudoun campaign with the foundation to bring awareness to challenges faced by low-income families in the county. (Loudoun Times, 2/1)

The first study, released in 2014, showed the median total gifts given to charity from Loudouners was $3,167, or 1.9 percent of their income. The 2017 study shows the figure remained at 1.9 percent, which equates to a median gift of $3,685.

Amy Owen, executive director of the Community Foundation, said she is disappointed by the findings.
“This is based on 2015 data, there is a two year time lapse to get the data out. We are very hopeful we are making an impact,” Owen said.

HOUSINGHUD May Push New Work Requirements for Public Housing Residents (CityLab, 2/2)

CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY | The Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility has announced its 2018 faculty. Staff include:

• Timothy J. McClimon, President of the American Express Foundation;
  • Diane Melley, Vice President of Global Citizenship Initiatives at IBM
  • Catherine Foca, President of the Capital One Foundation
  • Kim Fortunato, President of the Campbell Soup Foundation
  • Katherine Neebe, Senior Director, ESG, Trust & Transparency at Walmart
  • Aman Singh, Head of Content Strategy at FUTERRA.

There’s still time to register through March 1st or until the class is full. Download an application here.

ARTS PHILANTHROPY | Janet Brown, former executive director of Grantmakers in the Arts, discusses why the organization made racial equity a priority and the future of arts funding. (Barry’s Blog, 1/29)

TRANSGENDER RIGHTS | On Consumer Health Foundation‘s blog, I wrote about the life expectancy of transgender women of color and how the District can support the health of this community. (CHF Blog, 2/5)

– Fairfax County’s appeals process for students in advanced academic programs in public schools is facing criticism from parents and students. (WTOP, 2/3)

– Students at a Maryland high school created videos to show how they practice kindness at their school. Watch the videos here and here. (Gandhi Brigade Youth Media, 2/2)

TRANSIT | DC officials are looking into public transportation options that cater to seniors and night-shift workers. (WaPo, 2/3)

HOMELESSNESS | A proposed bill to prohibit panhandling in Montgomery County drew opposition from firefighters at a recent hearing. (Bethesda Beat, 2/2)

Watch these adorable kids impersonate journalists and talk about black excellence here.