February 20, 2018 / Kendra Allen, Editor

Students call for gun reform in the region and across the country

EDUCATION/PUBLIC SAFETY | After the Parkland school shooting last week, students are organizing to become gun reform advocates. Yesterday, local students participated in a three minute “lie-in” in front of the White House to represent the students killed in the shooting. (WaPo, 2/19)

“This could be a breaking point,” said Whitney Bowen, 16, an organizer of the D.C. protest. “We’re still just 16, but at least we’re old enough to have our voices be heard.”

“We’re not 18 yet so we can’t vote, but we have an advantage living in D.C. and as teenagers with access to social media,” Bowen said. “I don’t want to be known as a member of the mass shooting generation. It’s horrible and it’s devastating and it’s not the legacy I want to leave.”

NONPROFITS/SEXUAL HARASSMENT | In response to the #MeToo movement, Vu Le, creator of the popular blog Nonprofit AF, discusses some strategies the nonprofit sector can embrace in order to foster a safe working environment. (NAF Blog, 2/12)

HOMELESSNESS | The DC Interagency Council on Homelessness has released a report exploring experiences of women who have experienced and continue to experience homelessness in the District. It found that three out of four women are survivors of violence. (WaPo, 2/19)

HOUSING | Proposed changes to the housing voucher program could further harm low-income families. (Nation, 2/16)

LGBTQIA RIGHTS | The District’s Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton has introduced a bill to protect the rights of the city’s LGBTQIA residents and the city’s reproductive freedom laws from interference by Congress. (MetroWeekly, 2/16)

Here’s some interesting local Arlington history you may not have heard of…